Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2007, 08:37 PM   #1

S Model maintenance???

A year ago I got a chance to own my beloved 01 S so far i have done some minor upgrade, new top, wheels, tires, short **************** kit, and now cai and headers. Getting somewhat worried that the maintenance on the car will far exceed my budget and expectations. For those that own the car how do you cope with the maintenance budget? Considering wether to keep the car or maybe selling however I dont know yet

Seems to me that everything is too expensive on this beloved beauty of a car how do you guys do it?

chgolatin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:17 PM   #2

I find general maintenance quite reasonable. A good friend of mine has a Toyota Camry and his service costs are actually more than mine as the Porsche doesn't require the same intervals. As with anything if you want the best it's goin to cost you more. I was actually surprised at the prices of some parts.

I recently did my own 80,000Km service which included Air Filter, Oil Filter, Bolyrib Belt, 5 x Spark Plugs, Fuel Filter & Cabin Filter & the parts cost me about $350. Plus the 10 Litres of Mobil 1 which was $130. Sure I did my own labour and saved over $1K but it was all pretty easy.

These are Australian dollars & I know you guys in the states get stuff a lot cheaper than we do even taking into account the exchange rate. I saw a 98 Boxster with abot 50K advertised for US$15K. Makes you wish you were a yank lol.

2000 2.7 Boxster
aussieboxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:49 AM   #3

"how do you guys do it?"

I sold most of my high-end stereo system, and now hope I have no major repair issues, the pot is empty..... but I do love that car...

Ed

:dance:

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 04:49 AM   #4

It gets easier as you get older, that prime earning years thing, but then I have been car poor for 30 years and dont regret a moment of it. Best thing to do is buy a good manual, make a few friends who DIY and buy tools when needed, it does get easier and you will have some good stories to tell some day
thomschoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:54 AM   #5

Another thing to consider is that some of those non-necessary "upgrades" that you did would have bought quite a bit of maintenance.

It's a matter of knowing your own budget, and figuring out where to most wisely spend it.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:40 AM   #6

Boxster maintenance

My Boxster S has been very reasonable on maintenance if you don't count the expense of the Super high performance Porsche N3 rated tires. I just turned 38,000 miles on mine and the only maintenance so far has been oil changes and an air filter. I just did an oil change last week and it cost me $5.97/qt. Mobil 1 0w40 X 10 quarts (takes 9.25 qtrs so you have to buy that 10th quart) and then the oil filter insert @ $21 and new oil plug crush-ring at 57 cents for grand total of $81.27 not including tax. My local Porsche dealer would charge $10/qtr and $150 labor (bastards!). Changing the oil on the Boxster is very easy and straight forward. You don't even have to access the engine compartment. I have a service manual and it looks like brake pad replacement is easy too. DIY and save money while getting to know your Boxster at the same time.

2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote