Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2007, 06:12 PM   #1

oil change questions

Hi:
I do have 97 boxster, 33k miles now. I only drive 2k-3k miles a year, so should I follow 7500 mile oil change plan? or just do it once a year?
0w-40 is hard to find in NYC, so can I chang to 5w-30 or 5w-40?
what's the best grade of Mobile one for the boxster in NYC?
please give me some ideas,,
Thank you

hangout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 06:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangout
Hi:
I do have 97 boxster, 33k miles now. I only drive 2k-3k miles a year, so should I follow 7500 mile oil change plan? or just do it once a year?
0w-40 is hard to find in NYC, so can I chang to 5w-30 or 5w-40?
what's the best grade of Mobile one for the boxster in NYC?
please give me some ideas,,
Thank you

Once a year is fine.

M1 in a 5W-40 is fine.

Amsoil, Red Line is also fine in the same weights.

Do NOT use 5w-30 at all.

Good luck!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:02 PM   #3

So Jim, between the 0W40 and the 5W40 which is the better lubricant? I like the idea of a "0" weight at startup, but I have to wonder what was done to the oil to make it flow so well when cold and still behave like a 40 weight when hot....

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
So Jim, between the 0W40 and the 5W40 which is the better lubricant? I like the idea of a "0" weight at startup, but I have to wonder what was done to the oil to make it flow so well when cold and still behave like a 40 weight when hot....

Patrick

There is no practicable difference between these oils, unless one lives in very very cold climates. The 5W-40 will be more than fine.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750

Patrick
Hi,

Porsche recommends 0-40.

But, it's not a 0 weight at startup. It's a multi-viscosity Oil which, through the addition of Long Chain Polymers behaves like a 0 weight Oil at 32°F, that's not the same thing.

The first # in a Multiviscosity Oil is the Winter weight (at 32°). Only under this condition does the Oil behave like this. For a West Coast Car, or one which is stored through the winter, this # is relatively useless..

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:59 PM   #6

According to M1 the cold viscosity of these two oils is within 3% of each other.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:29 PM   #7

Use it or lose it. Drive the car!

Porsche requires that if you drive your car less than 9,000 miles per year that you change the oil at least annually anyway. They require an annual maintenance for cars driven less than 9,000 miles per year. The fluids in the car including the oil can change chemically over a year and form acids that can break down gaskets and other seals and hoses. I just picked up some Mobil One 0W - 40W today at Walmart here on Long Island. If you have to take a drive out the the Island or NJ and find a Pep Boys, Auto Zone or Walmart, Target to pickup your oil.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:36 PM   #8

Hi,

Shop around. M1 prices can range dramatically. I buy mine at the local Exxon-Mobil distributor - they'll sell it to you through the Will Call window. IIRC, I paid $4/qt., but as I said - do a price comparison because Wallyworld can sometimes undercut even this price. Also, Wix makes a filter for the car which will be just as good, but a lot less $ than the Porsche one. Wix makes all of NAPA's GOLD Filters and IIRC, the NAPA PN# for this filter is 07211. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:25 PM   #9

Oil?

Oil is hard to find in NYC hmmmm, not so maybe you are not trying hard enough. I'm from NYC, Brooklyn and NOTHING is hard to find in NY. M1 0W40 is the best oil bar none...
chgolatin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:21 PM   #10

walmart M1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000SoCalBoxsterS
Porsche requires that if you drive your car less than 9,000 miles per year that you change the oil at least annually anyway. They require an annual maintenance for cars driven less than 9,000 miles per year. The fluids in the car including the oil can change chemically over a year and form acids that can break down gaskets and other seals and hoses. I just picked up some Mobil One 0W - 40W today at Walmart here on Long Island. If you have to take a drive out the the Island or NJ and find a Pep Boys, Auto Zone or Walmart, Target to pickup your oil.
I just went to walmart in ling island two days ago, I didn't find 0w-40 in there, maybe they just lazy to put them up.
BTW, do you know anyone know to fix the top? the top on boxster can't be open even, my guy said it's the timing's problem. please let me know.
hangout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 02:32 PM   #11

I'm well aware of the significance of the numbers in a multi-viscosity oil, but I still somewhat wonder about the 0W40.

For us east coast guys, Pep Boys has the 0W40 but not the 5W40.

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote