Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2021, 06:53 PM   #1

Top in service position, engine out, need to close top.

Hi all,

I am in the process of removing the engine from my Boxster. Once it’s out I’ll need to push the car outside to free up some floor space for working on other projects and the engine work.

Problem is, top is in service position. Since I have the engine unhooked from the DME etc. I’m a little leery of hooking the battery back up to close the top.

Is it safe to hook the battery up in this state? Assuming it is not, how much of a pain is it to unhook the top from the power mechanism and then hook it back up later when everything is in service position? Or is there some trick to hooking it all back up?

Regards,

Silber

Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:56 AM   #2

Garage
I did it .At the DME I disconnected all the plugs .When my top didn't work I noticed there was a plug disconnected that was not part of the engine wire harness once connected the top worked and I was able to close .I had to pull my motor in the drive way .
gabedrummin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 05:15 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silber View Post
Hi all,

I am in the process of removing the engine from my Boxster. Once it’s out I’ll need to push the car outside to free up some floor space for working on other projects and the engine work.

Problem is, top is in service position. Since I have the engine unhooked from the DME etc. I’m a little leery of hooking the battery back up to close the top.

Is it safe to hook the battery up in this state? Assuming it is not, how much of a pain is it to unhook the top from the power mechanism and then hook it back up later when everything is in service position? Or is there some trick to hooking it all back up?

Regards,

Silber

My parking brake sensor failed a few months back and I was forced to convert to manual mode for a few weeks. I didn’t have much of a problem getting it all hooked back up, just a bit of trial and error moving the mechanism back and forth to get it to line up with the ball joints.

Seems like lower risk to just disconnect it and move manually than reconnect the battery.
-tWv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:22 PM   #4

Well, I had to remove the rear bumper, only way to do that was to raise the spoiler, so I went ahead and hooked up the battery, being careful that the engine battery wire wasn’t grounded.

No sparks of fire, lol, so I’ll probably just hook it up to close the top. Thanks for the input!

Silber
Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 11:15 AM   #5

Garage
I would like to know how to put the car in service mode without a battery such as when finding a Boxster at a pick a part junkyard so sometimes the top could be up and sometimes down.
nuvolari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 03:36 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuvolari View Post
I would like to know how to put the car in service mode without a battery such as when finding a Boxster at a pick a part junkyard so sometimes the top could be up and sometimes down.
The owner's manual shows how to disengage the mechanism for the roof to make it manual.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:25 AM   #7

Garage
no engine top open/close

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuvolari View Post
you will still need battery but not a big OEM Group 94. In this video I used a lawn and garden battery. You could also use two 6 volt camping batteries hooked up in series. Hope this helps.

https://youtu.be/vuEMHy_0IhU

Copy and paste to your browser. I think this will help.
Dllrd23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:27 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silber View Post
Hi all,

Regards,

Silber
https://youtu.be/vuEMHy_0IhU

Dllrd23 is offline   Reply With Quote