986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Alarm Horn (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/10896-alarm-horn.html)

fahlmanb 04-26-2007 02:50 PM

Alarm Horn

I have a quick question: when the alarm is activated, the lights flash but the horn doesn't sound. From other posts, it looks like the alarm horn needs to be replaced. There appears to be two horns in the compartment by the battery - do both need to be replaced, or just the top one (high pitch, I believe)?? It looks like the bottom one is v. hard to get to....

Cheers,

Brad.

TriGem2k 04-26-2007 03:05 PM

The horn should not sound when the alarm is set. The only time it should beep is if there is an open circuit. If you want the alarm to beep when you lock the car click the lock button twice. This should cause it to beep immediately.

There is nothing wrong with your horn....Unless you honk the actual horn and nothing happens.

:cheers:
James

fahlmanb 04-26-2007 03:40 PM

Sorry - I meant that when the alarm is set off (e.g., movement inside the vehicle when the alarm is set) the lights rapidly flash, but the alarm doesn't sound (also doesn't sound when pushing lock button twice)...

eric95 04-26-2007 04:44 PM

Your horn is dead or the fuse is blown. The alarm horn is 1 inch to the right of the battery if your facing the windshield.

n11tac 04-04-2008 06:23 AM

No alarm sounds

I found your alarm problem post on this forum, as I have the exact same symptoms, I wondered if you came to a solution?

I've checked the horn (the electric disc one, near the battery) on a separate battery and come to the conclusion that it's dead. But, on ordering a replacement from the OPC, they say that this horn is only used if you've left something open on the car when you try to remote alarm it. i.e. beeps at you.

Lil bastard 04-04-2008 07:31 AM

The Euro models have a totally different alarm system with separate siren and backup power supply.

North American models use the car's regular horn.

Does your horn work normally when activated by the Steering Wheel?

If so, you have an issue with the Alarm itself.

n11tac 04-04-2008 08:06 AM

Yes - driver's horn OK.
Alarm system can be 'primed' with remote key fob. When alarm triggered, side lights flash. Do you reckon that the main air horns should be sounding the alarm via the car's main battery?
I've read that there is a back-up battery. It's purpose is to sound the alarm should the main battery be disconnected and I believe this will energise the disc horn. If I'm correct, do you know where this battery is located?
I've also metered the disc horn (which doesn't work on a separate battery) supply in alarmed condition and this seems to vary between 9V and 11V DC in sync with the flashing indicator lights. Bearing in mind I used a digital multimeter, this tells me that the supply is rising and falling and thus sounding the horn accordingly.
My local Porsche dealer has suggested they have a look at it. With labour rates at £104 an hour and a replacement disc horn at £8, I've gone for the cheap option (DIY) in the first instance.