Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2007, 10:49 AM   #1

Garage
Can I replace a plastic rear window with a Glass Window?

I have a 2001 Boxster with a rear plastic window. During the winter months the window gets brittle and can crack very easily. I have been told various stories that a new top with glass window can be installed on my Boxster. The dealership says it will not fit and will crack. any advice?

****UPDATE*********

Purchased a fabulous top with rear defrost window installed! Installers quoted 1800 bucks to install. I did it myself, it took 2 evenings! best decision made than the plastic rear window.

Regards,

Last edited by saxman61; 10-12-2009 at 07:50 AM. Reason: update
saxman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:52 AM   #2

Hi,

You cannot add a Glass Window to your existing Top. But, there are manufacturers of new Tops with Glass windows, albeit slightly smaller than the original Plastic one.

When Porsche added the Glass Window, they redesigned the Top Frame and added an additional Bow so the Top can fold differently and accomodate the Glass. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:20 PM   #3

Garage
Your saying the top with the smaller window WILL fit the 2001 Boxster?
saxman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:16 PM   #4
Porscheectomy

2 options for a glass window top:

1) Aftermarket glass window top - plenty of info on this board
2) Retrofit the top and mechanism from a 2003-2004 car. I understnad that this is completely possible but expensive.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:01 PM   #5

My Window Broke

I know what you mean, I just purchased a 2002 Boxster in early April and attempted to lower my top the next day to check out the engine compartment. The outside temp. was 33 and the vinyl window cracked. I would like to remove the entire top to have the window replaced but I do not know how to go about removing the rag top. Can anyone out there tell me where I can find that infomation?
Tom Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:36 PM   #6

Tom, PM me your email address. I have a document and pictures written/taken by a Boxster owner that replaced his top with a new plastic window top. The procedures should be identical if you get a glass window top.

Fair warning, tho, it's not an easy job, and it is very time consuming.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:58 PM   #7

Email Address

Thanks Fray, it's

aquail@verizon.net

I thought it may not be too bad since some folks have a hard top they use in the winter. Maybe you don't have to remove the rag top to install the hardtop.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Blue
Thanks Fray, it's

aquail@verizon.net

I thought it may not be too bad since some folks have a hard top they use in the winter. Maybe you don't have to remove the rag top to install the hardtop.

The rag top does not get removed. It gets put in the down position and the Hardtop mounts up in it's place.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:34 PM   #9

As racer mentioned, mounting the hard top only requires lowering the soft top, so it's not a semi-permanent thing. It's easy and quick to pop off, and then have your rag top useable.

I forwarded the documents, and right as I sent the last email, another gentleman sent me a PDF he made from the document and pictures. It's all nice and neat, wrapped up in a nice little bundle.

If anyone sees this post and wants the top replacement document, PM me with your email address, and I'll forward the PDF document to you! It's about 4.5MB.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:16 PM   #10

glass window?

for the price of a new glass new window just replace the whole top for $625 which includes the glass already installed thats what I did and I paid a local installer to do the job on the car for $500 so for $1,125 I had a brand new top with a kick ass window instead of the silly littly ugly window.
chgolatin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:35 AM   #11

tops with glass windows

gahh and robbins make the top aftermarket with glass. Most customers seem very happy with them. I am installing one on wednesday.
Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:13 AM   #12

Peter, are you saying that there is an after market glass top that works with the plastic window top frame? I'd be afraid of something not fitting right and cracking the new glass window?

I actually like the larger plastic window because of better rear visability but I don't like how easily they scratch of otherwise can get damaged.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 08:12 AM   #13

Peter Serbanica just installed my top and it was probably the best money I ever spent. I watched him do most of the job and it really is an art form. Looks like you have to do several before you know how to get the top fitted on properly and correctly. One thing I learned from the process is that most of the tops purchased off the Internet are most likely seconds. Peter recommends GAHH as the best.
If you live in New Jersey or the New York area or near that area I highly recommend Peter for this job.

Tom