986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Simple Perfromance Upgrades (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/10835-simple-perfromance-upgrades.html)

aussieboxy 04-23-2007 11:46 PM

Simple Perfromance Upgrades

Hi guys,

I would like to increase the performance of my 2.7 Boxster without spending big bucks. It pretty sure it was chipped by the previous owner (not sure how to tell) and I was looking for some simple DIY mods.

Having looked through this forum it seems that an induction kit might be worth while. What's going to give me the best bang for my buck?

Thanks, I appreciate all of your comments.

edevlin 04-24-2007 03:13 AM

I have done a number of mods to my 2.7 and I like them all, but my favorite is the last one. My initial intention was to make the 2.7L engine faster, but it is a 2.7L and IMO without forced induction, which is not recommended for this engine, you cannot do that much to make it significantly quicker.

I first went for the chip/intake/exhaust which gives a wonderful sound, a few extra HP and made the the car is more responsive to the throttle. I then put the car on a diet, Barille battery (save 30 lbs) loose spare (25 lbs) lighter exhaust system (30+ lbs). The diet also seemed to make it quicker and more responsive.

The last mod was one that I had never planned on doing, but I could not put up with the body roll on hard cornering, and that is the suspension. Putting on coilovers and lowering the car is my favorite mod and if I had only one to do, that would be it. These cars are about handling and and a performance suspension makes it much, much more fun, at least for me. The only drawback I have found to the suspension is that because it is such a gas to drive, I end up eating tires, I will be lucky to get 6K out of my rear PS2's...

Ed

:dance: :dance: :dance:

2000SoCalBoxsterS 04-24-2007 03:35 AM

Plan to visit FabSpeed tomorrow

I have to go to Philly tomorrow and I plan on visiting FabSpeed which is only about 22 miles from Philly. I want to pickup their Cold Air induction system and also see if I can listen to their Header sports Cats, exhaust system first hand in person. I'll post my findings on Thursday.

John V 04-24-2007 03:36 AM

A good set of tires and an alignment are really good places to start.

Topless 04-24-2007 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V
A good set of tires and an alignment are really good places to start.

Yes! In the hands of a skilled driver the little Base Boxter can be quite the giant killer. Last weekend at Willow Springs a guy in a stock 2.5 with PS2 tires outran most of the stock classes including 993's 996's 987's 997's and two GT3's. About the only guys that got him were on track tires, were highly modified race cars or had twice the horsepower. A guy in San diego regularly runs top 5 in a stock Base 2.7 Boxter.