Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2007, 09:42 AM   #1

Question about header fitment...

My mechanic is installing Dansk headers on my '01S. He's concerned the heat from the header will melt the plastic undertray (which covers the underside of the motor), due to the minimal clearance (about an inch). For those of you already running headers, have you dispensed with the undertray, or found that the heat hasn't been a concern?

Thanks,
John L
'01S

jlegelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:03 AM   #2

I had to remove that part of the undertray so the headers fit. Also check the proximity of a coolant hose to the passenger side header. On mine they are pretty close and my mech fitted a longer hose to help move it away slightly.
Evo Intake
Partial Carbon Interior
Black Leather Sport seats
M030 Sway Bars
Litronics w/ Clear Corners
Boxster S brakes
B&M Short Shifter
PnP rear Speakers + Amp
pecivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
boxsterz

Header wrap should cure your worries. Make sure your headers are SS, as mild steel won't take the heat.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:08 AM   #4

Hi,

I personally did away with mine, but that's only because my car is a garage queen that only comes out on nice days!

But, if you choose to place the cover back on, I would highly suggest that you wrap (re: w/ header wrap or exhaust tape) the portion of the header that is closest to the plastic cover. That may help insulate the plastic from the heat.

Also, I don't know how far your new headers extend laterally, but you may also want to wrap the A/C line that comes in close contact to the header on the driver's side w/ the same wrap or tape. Randall advised me to do this when I installed my headers and it has been working quite well.

Lastly, I didn't have an issue with a coolant line on the passenger's side that pecivil mentioned. But this may be particular for Dansk headers.

Keep us posted!

Edit: Looks like boxsterz beat me to it!

Last edited by dcporsche99; 04-03-2007 at 11:11 AM.
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote