Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2020, 05:30 PM   #1
NewUserName

Generic car starter question

ANOTHER CAR - general question
Went to start car, got that rapid BRRRTTTT of a chattering starter solenoid, which I have always found to be a low battery. Put on charger - a Schumacher automatic one that charges, then maintains - after it went all green - fully charged, tried again - same thing!!!
I have a portable jumper/airpump gizmo - fully charged - tried that, same result.
I have had a battery with a bad (shorted) cell, that can even drag down an attempt by jumping with another car - but would the charger go green with a bad battery??
Can a bad starter do this? I've had starters go, never chatter, just one thunk and nothing.
Battery a couple years old.
Ideas?

DoninDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:27 AM   #2
NewUserName

Battery cables are tight and no corrosion. Car had been starting fine - quick crank and fired right up. Problem first arose when I left ignition turned on with engine off - drained the battery and next time wouldn't start - used the portable battery/air compressor and it started. Next time battery was dead again, I figured I hadn't driven enough, so put battery charger on it, now here I am.
Went through entire curse vocabulary.
Battery is almost exactly 2 years old - I don't drive the car much.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:35 AM   #3
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
I just had this happen on my Ford Fusion that I only drive in the winter. Also with a Schumacher maintainer. The voltage on the battery read only around 10 volts even though the maintainer went green. In my case the battery was very old so I bought a new one. No more issues.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:58 PM   #4
NewUserName

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
I just had this happen on my Ford Fusion that I only drive in the winter. Also with a Schumacher maintainer. The voltage on the battery read only around 10 volts even though the maintainer went green. In my case the battery was very old so I bought a new one. No more issues.
Thanks. I have read that there are a lot of ****************ty Chinese batteries out there that just don't last - I didn't get the cheapest one, but could have bad battery. The green light threw me. Battery probably had a 2 year warranty...
Old 11-17-2020, 05:34 AM   #5

The battery is the easiest place to start. You can take it to any store and have it checked.

Three yrs ago I bought a WD car that I found would lose a charge after 3-4 days. The battery would charge back up and be good again for a while. The battery was 1.5 yrs old. I was certain I had a parasitic drain. Contacted JFP asking how to track down a drain. He sent instructions but also suggested starting at the beginning by checking the battery first. I was convinced a 1.5 yr old battery couldn't be the issue but I had it checked. It was bad. Replaced it and never had an issue thereafter. JFP saved me a lot of wasted time chasing my tail.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 11-18-2020 at 05:04 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:12 PM   #6
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
The battery is the easiest place to start. You can take it to any store and have it checked.
+1

Buy a fresh Interstate battery and be done with it.

Just sayin'.............

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:52 AM   #7

Garage
Always check the fluid level in the battery at least once a year even on "maintenence free" batteries. If low top off with distilled water.