986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Dealership shooting (http://986forum.com/forums/off-topic-discussions/75658-dealership-shooting.html)

Qckslvr 06-28-2019 10:33 AM

Dealership shooting

Some of you may have heard of this, some may not. But there was a shooting at a very local to me Ford dealership. A parts counter person was let go, he then shot the parts manager, followed by the parts and service director. Shortly after he took his own life. This hits particulary close to me, as I knew these people. I work for a Ford dealership, in the parts dept that is about 15 miles from them. Prayers and thoughts to those lost to something rather senseless.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Police-Swarm-Ford-Dealership-in-Morgan-Hill-511814792.html

If you are willing to help the families.
https://www.gofundme.com/soutoandlightmemorialpage

Thanks
Q

paulofto 06-29-2019 06:00 AM

Another tragic workplace shooting. These things happen so often we become numb to it unless it hits close to home and affects us personally.

My sympathies to the families and to anyone impacted by this senseless act.

DoninDel 06-29-2019 08:13 AM

I'm an old bastard (72) and spent April, 1968, thru August, 1969, in the Marines in Vietnam. I got used to hearing of someone I knew being shot, but it saddens and sickens me that America has reached the low point that it has where stories such as this are not rare.
One area where the chant "We're # 1" is not a good thing.

BYprodriver 07-01-2019 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoninDel (Post 598478)
I'm an old bastard (72) and spent April, 1968, thru August, 1969, in the Marines in Vietnam. I got used to hearing of someone I knew being shot, but it saddens and sickens me that America has reached the low point that it has where stories such as this are not rare.
One area where the chant "We're # 1" is not a good thing.

Thank you for your service! I joined the USMC reserve after the war was over.

I prefer to not be recognized on military holidays etc. due to the huge disparity of contributions made by someone like yourself compared to mine. :cheers:

DoninDel 07-02-2019 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYprodriver (Post 598572)

I prefer to not be recognized on military holidays etc. due to the huge disparity of contributions made by someone like yourself compared to mine. :cheers:

You have still given of yourself to our country far more than the cowardly liar currently occupying the White House.

piper6909 07-03-2019 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYprodriver (Post 598572)

Don't sell yourself short. You signed up to go if called, so you still deserve our gratitude. Thanks to you, DoninDel and all the others who served. The older I get the more respect and gratitude I have for people like you, and the more disdain I have for the chicken-hawks.

DoninDel 07-03-2019 03:52 PM

Don't want to see this threadjacked.
Back to original post -
We have WAY too many gun incidents in this country.
I am waiting for some yahoo to chime in and say 'too bad the parts manager wasn't armed' - as if MORE guns is the answer.
If More guns were the answer, we'd be the safest country on earth, since we have WAY more guns than any other country -Americans make up 4 percent of the world's population but own about 46 percent of the entire global stock of 857 million civilian firearms.

The story posted ought to be rare and unusual - it is more and more common, and that is wrong.

maytag 07-04-2019 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoninDel (Post 598717)
Don't want to see this threadjacked.

And yet, you did it anyway. Twice.

Twice on this thread you've laid-in with a politically charged comment designed to draw people out so you can blast them. (That won't be me; you won't hear about my politics in this thread)

These comments had no place in a thread that was about compassion for those affected by this shooting.

If you'd like to set political land mines like this, there's an entire section devoted to this, with several threads already existing that you could jump on.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

piper6909 07-04-2019 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 598739)
And yet, you did it anyway. Twice.

Twice on this thread you've laid-in with a politically charged comment designed to draw people out so you can blast them. (That won't be me; you won't hear about my politics in this thread)

These comments had no place in a thread that was about compassion for those affected by this shooting.

If you'd like to set political land mines like this, there's an entire section devoted to this, with several threads already existing that you could jump on.

Really?? Comments about the gun culture have no place in a thread about yet another shooting. Yeah, that makes total sense in a upside-down logic world.

Let's send more 'thoughts and prayers' because they really worked so far! SMDH

maytag 07-04-2019 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piper6909 (Post 598748)
Really?? Comments about the gun culture have no place in a thread about yet another shooting. Yeah, that makes total sense in a upside-down logic world.

Let's send more 'thoughts and prayers' because they really worked so far! SMDH

I donated. Did you?

piper6909 07-04-2019 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 598750)
I donated. Did you?

Not in this case, but I have. Many times. Money and time.

maytag 07-04-2019 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piper6909 (Post 598752)
Not in this case, but I have. Many times. Money and time.

Yeah, you've missed my point.
Let's let this thread be about what it was about.
If you start another thread, you know I've no qualms about engaging politically.

piper6909 07-04-2019 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 598753)
Yeah, you've missed my point.
Let's let this thread be about what it was about.
If you start another thread, you know I've no qualms about engaging politically.

I didn't start this.

My point is that one has every right to comment about guns and the gun culture while talking about a gun tragedy.

To say one can't is like saying that we couldn't discuss the problem with lawn darts after children were killed and maimed by them.

Yes, of course comfort and aid the survivors. But we must also do our best to prevent it from happening again, or at the very least try to minimize it.

And why do guns have to be political, anyway? It's not a left or right / Democratic or republican things.

You may be surprised that I own guns. I am also in favor of common-sense gun regulation.

Years ago near me, an 11 year-old child killed his dad's pregnant girlfriend with a shotgun that his father bought him for Christmas.
That 11 year-old kid would have to wait 5 years before he could get behind the wheel of a car, 8 years to vote, and 10 years to drink a beer. But he was legally allowed to own a gun. There's something terribly wrong there! I don't care if you're Rep or Dem, this can me a common-sense discussion, not a political one.