986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Thanks Trump (http://986forum.com/forums/off-topic-discussions/75025-thanks-trump.html)

maytag 04-16-2019 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 593155)
on this day April 15, 2019 President Trump provided stressed out tax filers this beauty

A GENIUS!

HE'S here all week folks.

Yeah, most of us wish he'd shut-down his twitter account.
And I would prefer he not speak to cameras, either.

I miss the real statesmen who used to run for President; Reagan. Kennedy. Hell, even Carter was better than anyone who's gained the nomination from either party in a LONG time.
I wish I'd been given a chance to vote for someone I WANTED to vote for.... instead of having to hold my nose in the booth.

coreseller 04-16-2019 03:11 PM

I hear the guys on Rennlist really miss you PL...........

Perfectlap 04-16-2019 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 593192)
Yeah, most of us wish he'd shut-down his twitter account.
And I would prefer he not speak to cameras, either.

I miss the real statesmen who used to run for President; Reagan. Kennedy. Hell, even Carter was better than anyone who's gained the nomination from either party in a LONG time.
I wish I'd been given a chance to vote for someone I WANTED to vote for.... instead of having to hold my nose in the booth.

there is hardly a day that goes by when Trump says something Trumpy and I don't immediately think "what would Ronald W. Reagan have done in this situation that 9 times out of 10 both furthered conservative ideals and reminded everyone why he was the only Republican the majority of Democrats trusted (being that he carried every single Democrat state but one even though they denied his party control of the Congress). Every Democrat state but one... I think his version of tax "reform" would have looked very different today. Ditto for immigration reform, his response to these mass shootings and certainly all this praise for a dictator/gangster running the second largest nuclear arsenal.

When Regan's head hit that pillow every night you knew he believed what he was saying. And he had no need to convince everyone that he was the smartest guy in the room or felt it necessary to put people down with petty personal insults. Humility and rational thought.

DoninDel 04-16-2019 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 593155)
on this day April 15, 2019 President Trump provided stressed out tax filers this beauty

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1555377091.jpg

A GENIUS!

HE'S here all week folks.

He puts the TWIT in Twitter....

Perfectlap 04-16-2019 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coreseller (Post 593216)
I hear the guys on Rennlist really miss you PL...........

yes I hear things have gotten far more civil and fact based in the era of Trump.

coreseller 04-17-2019 02:39 PM

Apparently you're a legend over there. Good luck with your taxes, we all get screwed. As an S Corp owner mine went up 60%, Welcome to the USA lol.

Perfectlap 04-18-2019 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coreseller (Post 593291)
Apparently you're a legend over there. Good luck with your taxes, we all get screwed. As an S Corp owner mine went up 60%, Welcome to the USA lol.

less a legend. more like a Gatling gun.
although debunking alternative facts doesn't require anything but wire cutter ammo.

my effective rate went up but it didn't go up 60%.
that's absurd!!!!!

coreseller 04-18-2019 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 593327)
less a legend. more like a Gatling gun.
although debunking alternative facts doesn't require anything but wire cutter ammo.

my effective rate went up but it didn't go up 60%.
that's absurd!!!!!

The rate did not go up, the amount did. S-Corp owners get raped / I mean taxed on retained earnings, the income tax debt passes through to the owners.

Dave80GTSi 04-18-2019 01:54 PM

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1555624449.jpg

jsceash 04-19-2019 04:49 AM

Here was my take on it. I got no refund. I ended up owing a little over $200. I made $1066 less this year than last year. Tax I owed in 2018 was $12651. Tax I owed in 2019 was $6590. So what I had was $6061 to spend through the course of the year. That comes out to $233 per pay split between my wife and myself. How is that not a windfall for the economy. By the way, I owed $1800 to the IRS last year at tax time.

Racer Boy 04-19-2019 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsceash (Post 593379)
That comes out to $233 per pay split between my wife and myself. How is that not a windfall for the economy.

Short term, it may well be a windfall for the economy. Long term, what about the gigantic deficits created by the lower tax revenues?

For me, the biggest problem with the tax plan was that the IRS lowered withholdings without letting anyone know. I'm one of the lucky few who's tax rate actually increased (a very small percentage got screwed, and lucky me, I'm one of them!), but my withholding was decreased, so I ended up owing a lot more. In fact, since I didn't withhold enough, I also got socked with a nearly $900 penalty. I think Trump is a venal, dangerous, toxic nitwit, but my feelings toward him dipped even more when I wrote out the check for over $8000 to the IRS.

Perfectlap 04-19-2019 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsceash (Post 593379)
Here was my take on it. I got no refund. I ended up owing a little over $200. I made $1066 less this year than last year. Tax I owed in 2018 was $12651. Tax I owed in 2019 was $6590. So what I had was $6061 to spend through the course of the year. That comes out to $233 per pay split between my wife and myself. How is that not a windfall for the economy. By the way, I owed $1800 to the IRS last year at tax time.

^ if you pay taxes federally with an actual comma in the figure and two digits before it but ARE NOT collecting a million plus in annual salary, then welcome... the bar is in the back. But I must advise you that If you saw a net reduction of 50% under this tax "reform" then you may not want to bring that up to the other members at the annual dinner.

it's great for the economy when everyone wins. if that's not possible then fairness would dictate that we either all feel an equal pinch or an equal consideration. it's easy principle to get behind
unless people realllly high up the income ladder who are very involved in dark money fookery know what strings to pull make sure they get the lion's share of the breaks and push the inescapable increases on the guys who actually have a mortgage and family medical bills to pay for.

is you having more income good for the economy? of course but you aren't a typical case study for a net payer of federal income tax where that tax represents a significant share of the household income.

And the big herd of elephants in the room is that net effect of this tax "reform" has undoubtedly put us ALL closer to higher interest rates. These new Trump era $1 trillion dollar deficits EACH YEAR for the next decade (a multiyear high water mark that's never been hit before) as a consequence of giving out tax breaks like we're in the days of the1990's budget surplus does NOT suspend the laws of supply and demand. We'll now need to sell two and three times the usual debt to our foreign creditors. higher interest rates are NOT great for an economy that runs disproportionately on people spending money they dont have or buying big ticket items like houses and autos. Tax Revenues falling off a cliff when spending is controlled by Trump, Mike Tyson, Curt Shilling, pro athlete financial planning has only one outcome. Keep plenty of cash on hand.

steved0x 04-19-2019 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racer Boy (Post 593399)
...but my withholding was decreased, so I ended up owing a lot more. In fact, since I didn't withhold enough, I also got socked with a nearly $900 penalty.

That happened to me one year when I did a lot of contracting and I owed around $5000 extra at tax time. There would have been an underpayment penalty, but since I hadn't manually decreased my withholding from the previous year, there was no penalty for underpaying for *that* year, but I had to increase my withholding for the following year or I would get a penalty next year. So maybe, since this occurred with no changes by you, you can get out of it?

Racer Boy 04-19-2019 01:29 PM

I'll look into it, Steve. That's good information.

We didn't actually finish our taxes since TurboTax has a glitch that we couldn't overcome (I'll never use them again), so I just filed for an extension and paid what will likely be the final number.

steved0x 04-19-2019 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racer Boy (Post 593425)
I'll look into it, Steve. That's good information.

We didn't actually finish our taxes since TurboTax has a glitch that we couldn't overcome (I'll never use them again), so I just filed for an extension and paid what will likely be the final number.

Good luck! Maybe turbo tax doesn't handle that specific scenario? $900 would buy lots of car goodies for the Boxster!

piper6909 04-22-2019 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 593011)
Particlewave, I'm not on about state taxes. I'm talking only about the feds. All of my usual deductions are gone. And they cut the standard deduction in half. I appreciate the effort at simplifying, but it didn't help me on the tax-liability front.

On the other hand: it's nice to see my investment accounts on the up. A Republican in the white house House always good for the economy.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Clinton turned the Reagan/Bush recession into the roaring 90's and turned the then-biggest deficit into a surplus. W turned it back to the biggest deficit in history and the biggest recession since the Great Depression. Obama tripled my investment accounts after W decimated them, and gave us 80 months of consecutive job growth. Q3 2018 was the worst quarter in 10 years. I predict things will be going downhill again within the next 12 months. Mark my word.

Still think a Republican is good for the economy? LMAO!

piper6909 04-22-2019 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KRAM36 (Post 593005)
Complain about the high taxes of your state. There is no reason the rest of us should subsidize your state's high tax rates and give you a refund for those higher taxes.

Our 'high tax' states are paying most of the federal income:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_tax_revenue_by_state

While the 'low tax' states are most dependent on federal funds:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/articles/2019-02-12/these-states-depend-the-most-on-the-federal-government

Why should we who live in "high tax' states subsidize you?

Starter986 04-23-2019 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 593041)
You know not that this isn't anything you haven't been told your whole life, but insulting people that you feel intellectually superior to doesn't make you look any smarter. If anything it probably confirms their opinions of you. If you lack the ability to engage in simple debate without resorting to ad hominem then you are correct in staying exactly where you are.

Trump 2020?

PaulE 04-23-2019 06:40 AM

I'm a NJ resident and try to be philosophical about taxes. If I'm paying taxes, it means I'm making money. The thing about states with high state income taxes is that they also tend to have high property taxes in the regions of these states where the high incomes are earned. And those property taxes are often times higher than the federal $10,000 deduction cap on state and local taxes all by themselves. And before the tax and mortgage interest deductions were put in place, I used to lose some of those deductions through both the deduction phase-out and the Alternative Minimum Tax, AMT or the government's ATM. High class problems, I know! We make our choices about where we want to live for a variety of reasons. One thing we can probably all agree on is that the federal tax system should be fair to all so that all individuals and corporations pay their fair share. Getting to agreement on what is "fair" is difficult, if not impossible!

Starter986 04-28-2019 09:15 AM

Remember the good old days when you could write off your credit card interest?

Oh... and **************** democrats. They hate America.

Racer Boy 04-28-2019 10:12 AM

People that make inflammatory political statements on car forums hate America.

maytag 04-28-2019 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racer Boy (Post 593924)
People that make inflammatory political statements on car forums hate America.

AMEN!

maytag 04-29-2019 06:52 AM

I found myself this weekend staring at my tax returns, before filing them and forgetting about them. So I dug-out last year's as well, to make a quick comparison. I'll admit that I was a bit surprised at what I found.

First: I made about 14%k LESS in '18 than in '17. Not a surprise to me, but disappointing to see it in hard cold numbers.

in '17, I paid 26% in federal taxes on my calculated "taxable income", which equated to 16.5% of my total income.

in '18, I paid 17% in federal taxes on my calculated "taxable income", which equated to
12.5% of my total income.

So I guess where I SHOULD be looking, if I were to be philosophical about it, is this: while I earned 14% less in '18, i paid fewer taxes, narrowing the delta in my actual cash-in-my-pocket to only an 11% reduction. ::sigh::

I hate math.

piper6909 05-02-2019 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 593920)
Remember the good old days when you could write off your credit card interest?

Oh... and **************** democrats. They hate America.

And Repubes love America so much that they voted for a wanna-be dictator who welcomed a foreign adversary (Russia, lest ye forget) to interfere in our elections and who figuratively (and probably literally) sucks up to the world's despots.

Thanks, Repubes.

maytag 05-03-2019 04:55 AM

296k jobs.
3.6% unemployment.
Lowest since December 1969.
In 45 days, we'll be in the longest- lasting economic expansion in our nation's history.

It's pretty hard to argue with some of this stuff.
If only we could keep him away from Twitter. And cameras. I don't remember a politician who spent more time cramming both feet into his mouth.

KRAM36 05-03-2019 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piper6909 (Post 594259)
And Repubes love America so much that they voted for a wanna-be dictator who welcomed a foreign adversary (Russia, lest ye forget) to interfere in our elections and who figuratively (and probably literally) sucks up to the world's despots.

Thanks, Repubes.

Richard Madcow is that you?

https://www.sott.net/image/s19/38387...addow_x750.jpg

Starter986 05-03-2019 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racer boy (Post 593924)
people that make inflammatory political statements on car forums hate america.

lol!

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/03/economy/april-jobs-report/index.html

Starter986 05-03-2019 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piper6909 (Post 594259)
and repubes love america so much that they voted for a wanna-be dictator who welcomed a foreign adversary (russia, lest ye forget) to interfere in our elections and who figuratively (and probably literally) sucks up to the world's despots.

Thanks, repubes.

lol!

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/03/economy/april-jobs-report/index.html

piper6909 05-03-2019 12:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 594305)

So what you're really saying is, "Thanks, Obama!" because this is just a continuation of Obama's longest consecutive jobs growth in history.

Don't forget, Obama turned around Bush's Great Recession. When Rump took over, the economy by all accounts had been in positive territory for at least 6 years and this is just a continuation of Obama's economic trends. Rump inherited good economy.

Guaranteed by this time next year it'll be in a tailspin again. Mark my words.

piper6909 05-03-2019 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 594290)
296k jobs.
3.6% unemployment.
In 45 days, we'll be in the longest- lasting economic expansion in our nation's history.

If only we could keep him away from Twitter. And cameras. I don't remember a politician who spent more time cramming both feet into his mouth.

So what you're really saying is, "Thanks, Obama!" because this is just a continuation of Obama's longest consecutive jobs growth in history.

Don't forget, Obama turned around Bush's Great Recession. When Rump took over, the economy by all accounts had been in positive territory for at least 6 years and this is just a continuation of Obama's economic trends. Rump inherited good economy.

piper6909 05-03-2019 12:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by KRAM36 (Post 594297)

HAHAHA!!! Good one!

piper6909 05-03-2019 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 594290)
296k jobs.
3.6% unemployment.

It's also hard to argue with his affinity for despots and his dictator-like tendencies. Nor can you argue with the fact that he's lied to us over 10,000 times since 2016.

He claims he's a great businessman, but you can't see his taxes.
He claims he's smart, but you can't see his school records.
He claims he's exonerated, but you can't see the Mueller report.

Starter986 05-03-2019 01:57 PM

Again, LOL.

I wouldn't give Obama credit for a successful bowel movement.

Yeah, Trump is the only lying President. I don't care if he doesn't hone his language delivery like his predecessor LICs (liars in chief). Does "You can keep your doctor" ring a bell.

Your team is doing a great job of ensuring his second term.

BTW: I didn't vote for Trump.

Have a great weekend, newcomer. :dance:

maytag 05-03-2019 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piper6909 (Post 594334)
So what you're really saying is, "Thanks, Obama!".

Pfft. Once again: go take a basic economics course and you'll stop talking like this.

Yer killing me, smalls.
And making yourself look the fool while you're at it.

piper6909 05-03-2019 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 594340)
Pfft. Once again: go take a basic economics course and you'll stop talking like this.

Yer killing me, smalls.
And making yourself look the fool while you're at it.

HA! You mean trickle-down economics? LMFAO!

Try to dispute any of the facts I put forth, then come back to me.

maytag 05-03-2019 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piper6909 (Post 594334)

And you've just illustrated the difference between "us" and "them". You HOPE the economy tanks, because it's political for you. You HOPE he fails, so you can be right.

I HOPED Obama succeeded, because it would've been good for me, you, and the rest of the nation. It's not political for me. And when he failed, repeatedly and constantly, I kept rooting for him, hoping he'd do something that benefited me. He didn't.

piper6909 05-03-2019 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 594338)
Again, LOL.

I wouldn't give Obama credit for a successful bowel movement.

Yeah, Trump is the only lying President. I don't care if he doesn't hone his language delivery like his predecessor LICs (liars in chief). Does "You can keep your doctor" ring a bell.

Your team is doing a great job of ensuring his second term.

BTW: I didn't vote for Trump.

Have a great weekend, newcomer. :dance:

If you don't want to give Obama credit, that's fine. It still doesn't change the facts.

yeah yeah, "if you like your doctor..." they love to go to that one. It's the only instance when they can almost claim that he lied. First of all, that comment was made BEFORE the ACA was finalized. So, while it ended up being false, it was not an intentional lie. It's the same as Rump saying Mexico will pay for the wall. Now he's making you pay. It wasn't really a lie, it just never came to fruition.

Now, when Rump told you that the Russian meeting in Rump Tower was about adoption, that was a lie. After the fact. See the difference or do you need some more 'splainin'? And there are thousands of other lies Rump told you.

piper6909 05-03-2019 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 594342)
And you've just illustrated the difference between "us" and "them". You HOPE the economy tanks, because it's political for you. You HOPE he fails, so you can be right.

I HOPED Obama succeeded, because it would've been good for me, you, and the rest of the nation. It's not political for me. And when he failed, repeatedly and constantly, I kept rooting for him, hoping he'd do something that benefited me. He didn't.

Not at all. I believe it's coming, I don't hope for it. That's a warning call. When an Evangelical talks about the End of Times, does that mean he/she HOPES it comes? I don't think so. Just like climate change. Nobody hopes for it.

piper6909 05-03-2019 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 594342)

So where exactly did Obama fail? The economy?

maytag 05-03-2019 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piper6909 (Post 594344)
If you don't want to give Obama credit, that's fine. It still doesn't change the facts.

yeah yeah, "if you like your doctor..." they love to go to that one. It's the only instance when they can almost claim that he lied. First of all, that comment was made BEFORE the ACA was finalized. So, while it ended up being false, it was not an intentional lie. It's the same as Rump saying Mexico will pay for the wall. Now he's making you pay. It wasn't really a lie, it just never came to fruition.

Now, when Rump told you that the Russian meeting in Rump Tower was about adoption, that was a lie. After the fact. See the difference or do you need some more 'splainin'? And there are thousands of other lies Rump told you.

Piper, you're clearly wound-up. I think you should calm... drink a beverage.... take a breath.
Look.... I'm about to get on a plane; by the time I get back, I want you to be sane and reasonable. Go take the 986 for a spin.