Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2017, 07:37 PM   #1
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Flexible travel, short notice flights?

In a week or two I plan to drive a car (old Audi A6 Avant) from Oklahoma to Phoenix and give it to my daughter. About a 1,000 mile drive. The get in the car and drive part is easy. The get back home part is what I am trying to figure out now.
I don't want to buy an airline ticket much in advance because I haven't determined my exact travel dates. My daughter is about due to have a baby after a difficult pregnancy, just bought a new house, my grandson is about to start school... It's hard to know if it's best to make it a short overnight visit, or stay for a week. I'll know when I get there. Flexible travel plans are my goal.

-Can you walk into an airport, buy a ticket and go for a reasonable price with no advance purchase? I know I have had to make short notice changes for canceled/delayed connections enroute and it was pretty simple. Are there actually good bargains to be had with some flexibility?

-I could buy a cheap car to drive back home. Maybe sounds like a bad idea to many, but I buy about a dozen cars a year to strip, flip, sell, or give away. About $2k cash, a tool bag, fluids, and a credit car for contingency... I could have some fun and enjoy the risk and adventure. This is a solo trip while the wife stays home with the dogs.

-I could ship the Audi and drive a Boxster. Somehow that just doesn't feel right. Part of the purpose of the trip is to 'bring the Audi'.

-I could drive a Cayenne and tow the Audi on my trailer. That's a lot of trailer miles and a lot of gas and wear running the Cayenne with a heavy load. Empty trailer coming home..?

Do you have any Travel tips, advice, warnings, or stories to share?

A few internet searches as I wrote this have shown some decent samples of last minute airfares.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:57 PM   #2
Racer Boy

Search the internet for flights. You should try different sites, such as Expedia, Kayak, etc.

Pretty straight-forward.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:11 AM   #3

Garage
My parents use to do a lot of Standby flying and it was a cheap way to fly. You do have to be willing to sit in the airport and I don't know if that is a thing of the past. I would think if you have flexibility, last minute tickets should be cheapest as the airline would rather get some $$ for a seat then nothing
Old 08-12-2017, 07:51 AM   #4

I use skyscanner and hipmonk apps to ding the best price on flights. Skyscanner will let you know when prices drop
IrishMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:18 AM   #5
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Plans changed, my younger daughter asked to come along. We each drove a car. She drove the Audi, I took a Tiptronic 99 Box. We mostly stayed on I-40 heading to Phoenix. I think we'll stay off the interstate on the trip home

Really should have worn a bra...

Last edited by 78F350; 08-20-2017 at 12:48 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:52 PM   #6
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
HAHA nice bumper. I have never owned a car that attracts even half as many bugs as these cars do

tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote