986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Riding to fight Kids Cancer (http://986forum.com/forums/off-topic-discussions/66150-riding-fight-kids-cancer.html)

Heiko 04-12-2017 06:45 PM

Riding to fight Kids Cancer
 
Well, most of you know me by the guy that hands out Radio codes for free :)
and this summer I will taking part in this awesome event.

In June I'll be parking the 986 and cranking a few miles towards the
Great Canadian Cycle Challenge, 'Riding to fight Kids Cancer'.
A few years ago my niece (5yrs old) was diagnosed with Leukemia and underwent
3 years of treatments and luckily is cancer free at the moment. Events such
as this put a whole new outlook on life and no kids should have to suffer through
what should be the happiest part of their lives.

Its a great cause and I just want to assist in spreading the word of this
great event. Check out the site and help the cause... its 100% legit and in support
of the Sick Kids Foundation.
If you do donate to the cause, sponsor someone you know that is participating
or of course myself :D
Cheers,
Heiko

https://greatcyclechallenge.ca/Riders/HeikoVoss
https://greatcyclechallenge.ca/


http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1492051435.jpg

Heiko 06-25-2020 03:51 AM

By the way the 2020 Great Cycle Challenge to fight kids cancer which normally occurs in June was moved to August. I am signed up again this year for this great cause, and if anyone wishes to make a small donation it would be greatly appreciated (directly to the sick kids foundation with official tax receipt and all)
Thanks in advance to all those that have supported me through this in the past and again this year.
Happy Boxstering :-)
Cheers
Heiko

https://greatcyclechallenge.ca/Riders/HeikoVoss

piper6909 06-25-2020 08:58 AM

I just donated, Heiko! Thanks to you for your efforts for such a great cause!

steved0x 06-25-2020 09:26 AM

Yes, thank you, as a blood cancer survivor, I feel it is a worthy cause.

Heiko 06-26-2020 02:39 AM

you guys are awesome - thank you so much for the support :-)
Cheers
Heiko

Bill Ladd 06-26-2020 06:13 AM

Just kicked in.

Thanks for my radio code!!

Heiko 06-27-2020 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ladd (Post 619641)
Just kicked in.

Thanks for my radio code!!

Thank you very much :cheers:
That's awesome
Have a great weekend
Heiko

piper6909 06-28-2020 07:33 AM

Congrats, Heiko on reaching your $500 goal! :dance:

Just out of curiosity, why is this year's goal so much lower than the amounts raised in previous years?

Heiko 06-30-2020 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piper6909 (Post 619733)
Congrats, Heiko on reaching your $500 goal! :dance:

Just out of curiosity, why is this year's goal so much lower than the amounts raised in previous years?

Well I set my sights a little lower this year on the total amount of miles to ride because of my screwed up knee. Biking seems to be ok as long as I don't push it. I figured I'd start out with a goal of $500 (lots of people don't have extra money with COVID-19 and all) but since we already got there now (thanks to all those that pitched in :D) I've raised the bar to $1000 now.... The miles don't count until the 1st of August and then run right through to August 31st so I have some time :-)
I figure its a great cause and since my 5yr old niece went through this about 6 or 7 years ago when she was diagnosed with Leukemia (she won her battle after almost 3yrs) it was so sad to see all the young kids that go through this every day it near broke my heart. The sick kids foundation does so much for the kids, so I figure it was time to help give back a little :cheers:
Cheers
H

piper6909 07-01-2020 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heiko (Post 619845)
Well I set my sights a little lower this year on the total amount of miles to ride because of my screwed up knee. Biking seems to be ok as long as I don't push it. I figured I'd start out with a goal of $500 (lots of people don't have extra money with COVID-19 and all) but since we already got there now (thanks to all those that pitched in :D) I've raised the bar to $1000 now.... The miles don't count until the 1st of August and then run right through to August 31st so I have some time :-)
I figure its a great cause and since my 5yr old niece went through this about 6 or 7 years ago when she was diagnosed with Leukemia (she won her battle after almost 3yrs) it was so sad to see all the young kids that go through this every day it near broke my heart. The sick kids foundation does so much for the kids, so I figure it was time to help give back a little :cheers:
Cheers
H

Sorry to hear about your knee and it breaks my heart as well whenever I hear about any child battling cancer. Sounds like the Sick Kids Foundation is a great organization. It's so awesome of you to fundraise for them. Glad to hear your niece doing better. Here's hoping it never comes back! :cheers:

piper6909 07-13-2020 04:51 PM

:::Bump:::

maytag 07-14-2020 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piper6909 (Post 620486)
:::Bump:::

Thanks for the Bump. Somehow I had missed this thread.
I just donated.... how about the rest of y'all!??!

(Peer Pressure Works) :cheers:

itsnotanova 07-19-2020 03:17 AM

Another donation for this year coming your way. It's nice to see how far modern medicine has come on fighting cancer (My mom just beat stage 4 a few months ago), but there's still a long way to go.

piper6909 07-19-2020 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsnotanova (Post 620795)
Another donation for this year coming your way. It's nice to see how far modern medicine has come on fighting cancer (My mom just beat stage 4 a few months ago), but there's still a long way to go.

Keeping her in my thoughts, Woody. I'm thankful every day I'm cancer-free, or at least undetectable.

Heiko 07-19-2020 06:47 PM

We can be thankful every day if we're healthy... all the money in the world doesn't seem to be able to buy the luxury of being healthy. It's so sad that it's taken so long to come this far in Cancer research but it's always encouraging to hear some positive stories around this whole thing. I've been participating in this Great Cycle Challenge for the 4th year in a row now and in my opinion it is a great event. It's for the kids and if it helps put a smile on their face and gives them a few days of happiness its all worth it.
You guys are all awesome and I want to thank you for all your support.

Here's my ride history for this event for the last 3yrs
2017 June 1,709 km $3,537.52
2018 June 2,098 km $1,463.31
2019 June 1,483 km $1,530
2020 Aug ? $910 so far :cheers:

PS if you want to do your own ride... sign up and ride :)
Canada - https://greatcyclechallenge.ca/
USA - https://greatcyclechallenge.com/

Cheers and thank you all,
Heiko

itsnotanova 07-21-2020 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piper6909 (Post 620836)
Keeping her in my thoughts, Woody. I'm thankful every day I'm cancer-free, or at least undetectable.

Thank you and congrats. I too am thankful for being cancer free and encourage people to get testing done when they can. I have a family history of cancer and had a colonoscopy and endoscopy done when I was 45. The procedure wasn't bad at all because they knock you out. The worst part is the cleansing of your digestive system the day before and even that's not too bad.

paulofto 07-21-2020 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsnotanova (Post 620934)
The worst part is the cleansing of your digestive system the day before and even that's not too bad.

My father died of colon cancer at 57 back in the ‘80’s. Due to that me and my siblings have regular colonoscopies. As you said the prep is the worst part.

Here is Dave Barry’s Experience. It is hilarious.

https://www.miamiherald.com/living/liv-columns-blogs/dave-barry/article1928847.html

piper6909 07-26-2020 08:51 AM

::BUMP::

Let's help Heiko hit his goal for a great cause!

https://greatcyclechallenge.ca/Riders/HeikoVoss

Heiko 08-09-2020 06:17 PM

Over 300kms ridden in the first week of August for the Kids Cancer ride. I just want to thank all those that have donated and supported this great cause (thank you all). For anyone that still wishes to Donate I just want you to know that Kick Cancer's Butt Day is this Thursday 13 August, where your donations WILL BE MATCHED up to $1,000,000!
Heiko

https://greatcyclechallenge.ca/Riders/HeikoVoss


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website