986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Hey, honey..... (http://986forum.com/forums/off-topic-discussions/58721-hey-honey.html)

Timco 09-12-2015 05:12 AM

Hey, honey.....

Finished this last night, finally.

Hive split this year. My fault.

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/a...psnjpfmp5d.jpg

Bootlegger 09-12-2015 09:03 AM

Time to make some mead! I have 5 gallons of raspberry I need to bottle this weekend. Looks like a decent harvest.

Porsche9 09-12-2015 10:06 AM

That's a lot of honey!

Timco 09-12-2015 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche9 (Post 465758)
That's a lot of honey!

Last year was almost twice that. This year I didn't check them frequent enough and waited too long to add another super and they split. Too bad.

Jamesp 09-12-2015 04:39 PM

Is it true that if anyone within 3 counties of you gets stung it's one of your bees? ;)

Porsche9 09-12-2015 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 465762)
Last year was almost twice that. This year I didn't check them frequent enough and waited too long to add another super and they split. Too bad.

You eat it all yourself?

You have any problems with the hive dieing off? If you believe everything you read bees dieing off is a huge problem. Here in Arizona I've had several unwelcome hives at the house. I've felt bad about it to the point I actual found someone that moves them instead of exterminating them. Costs more but felt it was worth it.

Timco 09-15-2015 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamesp (Post 465800)
Is it true that if anyone within 3 counties of you gets stung it's one of your bees? ;)

Yes, and for the record, I'm stung 2-3 times a year. This year it was on my lower lip.

I ran away, pulled it off, tripped on my own foot, skinned my knee on my sidewalk, and skidded across the lawn.

Timco 09-15-2015 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche9 (Post 465804)
You eat it all yourself?

You have any problems with the hive dieing off? If you believe everything you read bees dieing off is a huge problem. Here in Arizona I've had several unwelcome hives at the house. I've felt bad about it to the point I actual found someone that moves them instead of exterminating them. Costs more but felt it was worth it.

We still have 15 quarts on the shelf which is a mix of the last two years, which were 45lbs & 55lbs. We eat it and give a lot away to family & friends. It's cool stuff and tastes great. Inner city honey! We are by the U and bees have a 3-mile radius range so they're all over the U and east of that even.

If the hive dies, it's my fault. They are set up just right for brood space and winter food (honey) and blanks on the outside for insulation. If they split like they did this year, it's my fault. I should have checked them more often and added a super earlier.

As a single hive keeper, it's easy to manipulate them and keep them healthy.

'Unwanted' bees are worth $150+ as a working hive here. That's why there's dozens of people that will get them for free. If a scout bee thinks your siding has a large enough cavity, and smells like bees have used it before, they will always use it. It needs to be sealed up.

Coffinhunter 09-16-2015 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 466140)
Yes, and for the record, I'm stung 2-3 times a year. This year it was on my lower lip.

I ran away, pulled it off, tripped on my own foot, skinned my knee on my sidewalk, and skidded across the lawn.

Lucky you. If it happened to me, time for an epi-pen, a trip to the hospital, or a casket.:(

jpc763 10-05-2015 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 466144)
If they split like they did this year, it's my fault. I should have checked them more often and added a super earlier.

What does this mean? Does it mean that half your bees took off and started a hive somewhere else? Also, what is a "super"?

Timco 10-05-2015 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpc763 (Post 468782)
What does this mean? Does it mean that half your bees took off and started a hive somewhere else? Also, what is a "super"?

When they split, a swarm with about 60% of your bees leaves to start another colony.

A super has 10) 2-sided frames that the comb is made on and filled with honey.