986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Who thinks we should show trev0006 the door? (http://986forum.com/forums/off-topic-discussions/48572-who-thinks-we-should-show-trev0006-door.html)

Mark_T 09-25-2013 10:31 AM

Who thinks we should show trev0006 the door?

All he ever does is post links to DPC Cars. No comment, no worthwhile contribution, just spam. I would like to see a stop put to it as it adds nothing to the forum and none of us need help finding that site if we want to go there. I have no idea why he feels so compelled to keep doing this, especially since a few members have already indicated that he is only making a nuisance of himself. It really is getting annoying.

Now, if everyone else is enjoying these links then fine, I'll stop being a cranky old bugger and not say another word about it. But if enough members are as irritated by this as I am then perhaps we should first ask him to cease and desist and then, if he won't comply, give him the punt.

Mark_T 09-25-2013 10:40 AM

Oops, somehow managed to post this twice in two different sections, not quite sure how that happened. Sorry folks. Now who's the spammer?? :o

brian325is 09-25-2013 10:46 AM

I don't really think he reads this forum, I also belong to a BMW forum and he does the same thing there.

He is obviously affiliated with the website.

No harm done and the links are car related.

Why do you care? Don't open them if you aren't interested. Its that easy!

particlewave 09-25-2013 11:01 AM

I care because its usually the same recycled crap and it clogs up this forum. ;)

boxster6354 09-25-2013 11:12 AM

From the forums FAQ:

Dealing with Troublesome Users

Can I block posts, emails and messages from specific users?

If there are particular members that bother you and you do not want to see their posts or receive Private Messages and Emails from them, then you can add these members to your 'Ignore List'. There are several ways to do this:

Through your User Control Panel: User CP, Settings & Options, Edit Ignore List. Then, type their name into the empty text box and click 'Okay'.

:cheers:

Mark_T 09-25-2013 11:22 AM

Tried that, but it doesn't remove all the message headers from my view, so the lounge still shows all threads he has started, just not his posts within that thread. I'm quite convinced he only does this because he knows it is annoying and he likes being a dick.

southernstar 09-25-2013 11:35 AM

Agreed - if we could have him removed that would be great.

Eric G 09-25-2013 11:39 AM

If everyone reports his posts the mods will start to get the hint. Write a note when you hit the report button. Answer is always no till you ask!

Mark_T 09-25-2013 11:50 AM

Good suggestion. I have just reported one of his posts and explained my reasons for doing so. Perhaps some other peeps here can do the same thing and we can be rid of this idiot.

The Radium King 09-25-2013 12:45 PM

censorship - I love it! from now on, only people that Mark T likes can post here.

but hold it, what if someone decides that mark t's posts provide "no worthwhile contribution'? should he be kicked off?!?!? who defines 'worthwhile contribution' anyway? mark t? the moderator? whoever stumbles across this thread?

mark t writes "if everyone else is enjoying these links then fine" - what if i'm the only guy enjoying them (which I do; sad to say but I quite liked the post about hot girls of motorsport); is that enough to avoid excommunication? or is some sort of majority vote required? censorship is now democratic? we can vote away a voice or an opinion?

I realise that this trev fellow is just a robot and should probably be booted, but am quite put off by this angry mob of townsfolk c/w torches and pitchforks (and the people that rile them up); it's tough to go back to civility once mob rule becomes the norm.

Mark_T 09-25-2013 03:36 PM

You would appear to be the sole holder of that opinion. So far, anyway.

In fact, you will notice that not even trev0006 himself has made an appearance to defend his apparent right to spam us with the same link every day. Nor, methinks, will he. That's because he has no interest in this forum beyond how much money he is making from people here clicking on his links. In other words, abusing his membership here.

I have to admit you made me chuckle with the torch and pitchfork reference. For some reason it brought to mind the witch scene from Holy Grail.

coreseller 09-25-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Radium King (Post 364929)
censorship - I love it! from now on, only people that Mark T likes can post here.

but hold it, what if someone decides that mark t's posts provide "no worthwhile contribution'? should he be kicked off?!?!? who defines 'worthwhile contribution' anyway? mark t? the moderator? whoever stumbles across this thread?

mark t writes "if everyone else is enjoying these links then fine" - what if i'm the only guy enjoying them (which I do; sad to say but I quite liked the post about hot girls of motorsport); is that enough to avoid excommunication? or is some sort of majority vote required? censorship is now democratic? we can vote away a voice or an opinion?

I realise that this trev fellow is just a robot and should probably be booted, but am quite put off by this angry mob of townsfolk c/w torches and pitchforks (and the people that rile them up); it's tough to go back to civility once mob rule becomes the norm.

I frankly don't give two hoots about Trev and his postings, I just found it very odd that ALL of his posts were links to the SAME website, this cat didn't even attempt to blend in lol.

I also find your censorship reference amusing, this guy is either someone profiting from posting links (either directly or he may be a principle / owner of the linked website) or a spambot and you're worried about his opinion being heard or rights as a forum "member"?

Alas...regarding your alluding to someone disagreeing with Mark T's opinion, at least he would be here to debate / defend it, Trev wouldn't even read or reply to it.

EDIT...........Crap....I repeated some of Mark's points above, should of read that one lol.

BTW....I do use the "Ignore User" button on certain members, it is a great feature.

The Radium King 09-25-2013 04:19 PM

if you read my previous post i do state that i think trev is a robot or something similar and, if so, should go just like all the other spambots. my objection is to a collective mob deciding who stays and who goes based on their perception of 'worthwhile contribution' to the forum. self-appointed police. i mean, if you peruse the first few pages of mark t's list of posts, the majority of them are giving other people heck for not using the search function, asking dumb questions, or asking too much for things they are trying to sell - is that a worthwhile contribution? again, more self-appointed policing from my point of view. personally, i'd rather follow a link to a cool car site than watch some poor newb get bashed because he asked what kind of oil to use. but, that's MY decision, and i'd hate to have the ability to make that decision taken from me.

coreseller 09-25-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Radium King (Post 364960)
if you read my previous post i do state that i think trev is a robot or something similar and, if so, should go just like all the other spambots. my objection is to a collective mob deciding who stays and who goes based on their perception of 'worthwhile contribution' to the forum. self-appointed police. i mean, if you peruse the first few pages of mark t's list of posts, the majority of them are giving other people heck for not using the search function, asking dumb questions, or asking too much for things they are trying to sell - is that a worthwhile contribution? again, more self-appointed policing from my point of view. personally, i'd rather follow a link to a cool car site than watch some poor newb get bashed because he asked what kind of oil to use. but, that's MY decision, and i'd hate to have the ability to make that decision taken from me.

Once again, if a user for whatever reason annoys you, use the "Ignore User" button and Wala, problem solved.

It has worked for me. :cheers:

Johnny Danger 09-25-2013 04:51 PM

It wouldn't be so bad if Trev's posts brought a level of enrichment to the forum like the Danger Winter Workout Series does. :)

Mark_T 09-25-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 364968)
It wouldn't be so bad if Trev's posts brought a level of enrichment to the forum like the Danger Winter Workout Series does. :)

Has the release date been announced yet?

Rickinduncan 09-25-2013 08:45 PM

What the hell? most of the posters on this thread are Canucks. What about the Canadian code of ' always take the high road', 'never complain', be ' friendly' always claim it's your fault and you're sorry' - **************** it. Ban the bastard!

Rickinduncan 09-25-2013 08:47 PM

Oh - I notice you can't say certain words on this forum

Eric G 09-26-2013 02:04 AM

You can say them...we will never see them unless you use phonetics to spell them out.

Mark_T 09-26-2013 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickinduncan (Post 365004)
What the hell? most of the posters on this thread are Canucks. What about the Canadian code of ' always take the high road', 'never complain', be ' friendly' always claim it's your fault and you're sorry' - **************** it. Ban the bastard!

LOL! I thought I was taking the high road by ignoring the uncalled-for personal attack from the sole dissenting party.