986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Other Hobbies? (http://986forum.com/forums/off-topic-discussions/48267-other-hobbies.html)

coreseller 09-07-2013 01:12 PM

Other Hobbies?

Strangely enough I have found myself gravitating towards some hobbies / collecting that until as recently as a few years ago I use to roll my eyes at. While we all know JD's second love to automobiles is collecting women (THAT would be too expensive for me) I have found that car guys seem to harbor similar interests. Mine:

-Cars (too many kids, all have been in Private Schools from the git-go and a stay-at-home-wife to afford more than one pleasure vehicle)
-Bicycling (Trek CF Madone)
-WoodWorking (no more room for any furniture)
-Watches (this is recent, for whatever reason I love vintage King / Grand Seiko Automatics, beautiful simplicity)
-Vintage Audio (late 70's when it was pure quality)
-Some others

You Guys?

Ian c 09-07-2013 10:07 PM

I'm mainly known for messing around with stupid German cars with the engine in the wrong place , yet strangely enough my main hobbies are sex drugs and rock'n'roll .

Ian c 09-07-2013 10:14 PM

When you say hi-fi do you mean the old "flat earth" stuff ?
Naim and linn etc?

I used to do that sort of stuff ...

It not only took over my living room , but my life :D

Music has ALLWAYS been my main hobby , either making it or listening to it .
Listening to it has allways been more pleasing to the ear :D

I've messed around with motorbikes too , mainly of the Italian sit upright variety , or French stand up and hop variety ...

But messing around modifying cars and fitting car stereo I guess has been my main hobby for the longest .

Johnny Danger 09-08-2013 05:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Towel whipping and searching for Bigfoot are still 2 of my favorites.

coreseller 09-08-2013 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian c (Post 362028)
Naim and linn etc?

No, I like the Monster Receivers from the mid to late 70's, especially Pioneer and Marantz. I actually bought a very nice set-up in the late 70's new when I was a stock boy at a grocery store, my room in my parents house looked like a Who concert stage :).

Like an idiot I sold the components 20 plus years ago, bought a Bose Lifestyle system when we built our house. :barf:

Luckily I still have the speakers (EV Interface Series) and am in the process of restoring a Marantz receiver I rescued out of some guy's garage.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...psc871082e.jpg

Johnny Danger 09-08-2013 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian c (Post 362028)
Naim and linn etc?

Music has ALLWAYS been my main hobby , either making it or listening to it .
Listening to it has allways been more pleasing to the ear :D

I've messed around with motorbikes too , mainly of the Italian sit upright variety , or French stand up and hop variety ...

But messing around modifying cars and fitting car stereo I guess has been my main hobby for the longest .

I had a gorgeous Linn Sondek turntable with an Ittok arm and Koetsu cartridge back in day. RIP analog :(

Eric G 09-08-2013 06:48 AM

Art: oil, ink, pastel, water color, charcoal, metal working, foundry, woodworking... The list goes on. I was raised in a household where art and its many forms were practiced.

My wife and I about 10 years ago had the chance to buy the place next to us and turn it into an art studio and in doing provided an oasis of solitude. Couple that with working on cars, bikes and other mechanical toys and this makes for a fun place for friends and family to come over and get away from the issues of work.

Mark_T 09-08-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 362041)
Towel whipping and searching for Bigfoot are still 2 of my favorites.

There's no Bigfoot in Massachusetts. They're all in Sasquatchewan. Everyone knows that.

particlewave 09-10-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric G (Post 362049)
Art: oil, ink, pastel, water color, charcoal, metal working, foundry, woodworking... The list goes on. I was raised in a household where art and its many forms were practiced.

Fellow artist ;)
You name it, I've dabbled in it, though I enjoy oils and sketching the most.

Apparently, I also have a knack for writing. Three of my essays were published back in April through the university and I received multiple awards, both monetary and academic. I was very surprised as I don't typically enjoy writing, but I'm learning to. ;)

Electronics used to rule my life as my main hobby, but between work and school, I'm completely burnt out.

Nine8Six 09-10-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 362468)
I was very surprised as I don't typically enjoy writing, but I'm learning to. ;)

If everybody in this world would have this attitude it would be a perfect world. Well bloody done

and Congrats on the awards!

Topless 09-10-2013 04:01 PM

I tend to run 10 year periods with most hobbies and then move on to explore something new.
70s- Motorcycle racing and playing live music
80s- Racing sailboats and raising kids
90s- Astrophotography and raising kids
2000s- Scuba diving and playing live music
2010s- Playing live music and performance driving

Johnny Danger 09-10-2013 04:44 PM

I'm thinking of taking up Flamenco dancing. Anyone else ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=K2ALh2nXHRM

Van914 09-10-2013 04:47 PM

J.D. I thought you ran with the bulls.

Johnny Danger 09-10-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Van914 (Post 362538)
J.D. I thought you ran with the bulls.

The bulls viewed me as being too "gore-geous".

Vista glass 09-10-2013 09:53 PM

Checking in from the Florida branch. Currently my stained glass hobby turned into a business. Its like getting paid to go fishing. I built a studio and the Patrons are lined up.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1378877274.jpg

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1378877350.jpg

Also on the roster, Four wheeling, carpentry, restoring antique statues,making furniture,and teaching the trades to young men (my own economic stimulus plan).

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1378877764.jpg

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1378877834.jpg

I have been through bikes, boats,all manners of fishing,remodeling homes, building garage mahals,drawing with pen and ink or pencil, civic involvement. Next on the agenda? Something musical, probably a string instrument, and some home brewing.Theres always something to learn and get better at. I get some interesting reactions when I show up at my patrons residence in the boxster.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1378878593.jpg

I generally don't tell them this" hobby" bought and maintains it.

sgt brad 09-14-2013 08:48 PM

Mark,
I should have pegged you for a hifi guy. I just spent the past few months redoing my reference stereo around a new set of gallo reference3.5 speakers and audible illusions tube pre amp. I actually find critical listening more enjoyable than even driving top down in the box... Regards to your family...
Brad

Johnny Danger 09-15-2013 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgt brad (Post 363278)
Mark,
I should have pegged you for a hifi guy. I just spent the past few months redoing my reference stereo around a new set of gallo reference3.5 speakers and audible illusions tube pre amp. I actually find critical listening more enjoyable than even driving top down in the box... Regards to your family...
Brad

Audible Illusions ! I had one of their MC cartridge "set-up" amps back in the day. :)

coreseller 09-15-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgt brad (Post 363278)
Mark,
Brad

Regards back Brad, hoping things are going well for you and the family. You and JD have more eclectic (expensive) tastes than I do, or more accurately, I'm too cheap.

My family room / home theater set-up is a high end Onkyo receiver with Paradigm Reference speakers F & R and two Klipsch subs, not the best but good enough for me.

I am amassing a nice set-up (from the 70's) to put somewhere in our next house. Trying to catch deals on CL but they're tough to come by, the good stuff either is bought literally in minutes or people are asking ridiculous money.

sgt brad 09-19-2013 07:52 PM

I listened to a 150k 2channel system a couple months ago before I bought my gallos. If anyone thinks p cars are a hobbyist money pit they need to check out some of the audiophile websites. It's even gotten to the point where guys are spending 60+ a pop on fuses! Fuses folks...makes a raby motor at 20k seem like easy money...:)

Fwiw that old marantz gear is uber desirable, don't make it out like jd and I have fancier taste!

coreseller 09-19-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgt brad (Post 364040)
I listened to a 150k 2channel system a couple months ago before I bought my gallos. If anyone thinks p cars are a hobbyist money pit they need to check out some of the audiophile websites. It's even gotten to the point where guys are spending 60+ a pop on fuses! Fuses folks...makes a raby motor at 20k seem like easy money...:)

Fwiw that old marantz gear is uber desirable, don't make it out like jd and I have fancier taste!

I hear you. I was shooting the breeze last week with the tech from a local repair shop who aligned the FM section on another older Marantz I have, he showed me some of the crazy high end stuff. They had a turntable that listed for $27k, I looked at him like he was from Mars when he told me that.

You are also right on some of the gear getting expensive, ebay has driven that market wonky. Certain equipment that could be easily had for $150 to $250 3 to 5 years ago now commands $750 to $2k depending on condition.

There is definitely a reason for it though, some of the older stuff absolutely puts to shame the newer offerings. I remember you (Sgt Brad) noticing the NAD receiver in my garage a couple of years ago, it is a 7250PE model with 50 wpc and it completely decimates the 140 wpc my new Onkyo puts out, but with Home Theater you gotta have the HDMI inputs.

One thing I have tried to incorporate into anything I collect recently, keep with things that tend to appreciate in value. I REALLY wish I had more garage space, I'd be snapping up more air cooled 911's (the right ones). One the 993 forums I frequent when a nice example comes up for sale it is common for them to sell for asking price within hours if not minutes, they are getting very pricey.