Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 02:11 AM   #1

wifes DD recommendations

so our Saab 9-3 is getting a little long in the tooth so we are looking to replace it this summer with a nice car for her to drive, take road trips, etc...we already have a BMW X3 for heavy hauling. My price range I am looking at is about 12k give or take. I was looking at newer Saab 9-3 sedans, Merc C230's, E36 M3's (hard to find with low mileage) older G35's....what am I missing or should be looking at? I really want something that will be relatively easy on maintenance and comfortable on long trips. must have back seats as we have a 9 year old.

fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:16 AM   #2
Porscheectomy

Are you really looking for something low on maintanence? Your list sounds more status symbol heavy than inexpensive on cost to me. Buy something Japanese. I love the manual, AWD Mazdaspeed6. The Acura RL and TL are really nice cars. This might be hard to belive, but the AWD Fusion is a cheap to own fun sedan too. I'm a huge Subaru fan, the WRX isn't big though.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:21 AM   #3
Track rat

Garage
Find a well cared for Lexus. Quality, comfortable on long trips and completely bulletproof. Most 10 yr olds still look like new cars inside and out.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
DIY extremist

My Mini Cooper S DD Manual trans has been absolutely awesome in its first week. Avg 27mpg and quicker feeling than my Box S in city driving. Downside is very small backseats.
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #5

I would love a IS300, but they all seem to have a whole heck of a lot of miles on them! My wife hates WRX's with a passion or I would have one lol....she is extremely picky on cars! I might look into Legacy's. Also looking for a TSX maybe. I will look more into Lexus's I know they are all really nice cars

Our Saab has been relatively trouble free for the last 60k miles we have owned it, and for 30k of that it has been boosting to within an inch of the turbo's life lol.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #6

Fuel consumption on the IS300 is atrocious for a DD...
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
Track rat

Garage
There is wisdom in having a sports car (Boxster), Dog hauler (X3), and comfy cruiser in the stable. Each is a different experience and each does something really well.

Inf G35- Sport/luxury
Lex IS300- Sport/Luxury
BMW 525- Sport/Luxury
Lex ES330- Vanilla sled... and yet, an amazingly excellent sedan for DD/long trips. Chicks love these things.

Most of these cars can be found in good condition from $12k-$16k. No dogs in the bunch.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #8

Garage
I recently got rid of an Infiniti g35x. It was a comfortable car, roomy, had ample power, and cost me next to nothing in repair costs. On the downside, it used a bit of fuel and wanted premium. The higher-mileage ones are within your price range, and don't let mileage deter you. Mine had 145K and plenty of life left.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #9
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
There is wisdom in having a sports car (Boxster), Dog hauler (X3), and comfy cruiser in the stable. Each is a different experience and each does something really well.

Inf G35- Sport/luxury
Lex IS300- Sport/Luxury
BMW 525- Sport/Luxury
Lex ES330- Vanilla sled... and yet, an amazingly excellent sedan for DD/long trips. Chicks love these things.

Most of these cars can be found in good condition from $12k-$16k. No dogs in the bunch.
I never got the point of the ES. Why not get a Camry, it's exactly the same car?
Old 05-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #10

wife likes the G35's...I almost bought a coupe a while back, but we really need the 4 door lol.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #11

Garage
Just get another 9-3 or 9-5, they can be easily be cranked up to 300hp. Saabs are also relatively cheap now that they went bankrupt.
Any reason not to drive your old Saab until it just blows up? You won't get a single penny for it anymore.
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:36 PM   #12

honestly, I have been thinking about fixing all the nagging little problems and keeping it, but the main thing is we want to get a 4 door not convertible lol, so we can put roof racks on top for surfboards and stuff (so we dont have to drive the X3 everywhere) and easier for the kid to get in and out of the back seat. We have been looking at the newer 9-3's pretty heavily, I am a pretty proficient Saab mechanic and know what it takes to tune them, our current 9-3 is pushing north of 300 HP and is daily driven
Old 05-31-2012, 05:01 AM   #13
DIY extremist

Saabs are cool cars, and from what've heard, they hold up with the miles.

My Mini Cooper S DD Manual trans has been absolutely awesome in its first week. Avg 27mpg and quicker feeling than my Box S in city driving. Downside is very small backseats. But they do make a 4 door version.....
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:32 PM   #14
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
I never got the point of the ES. Why not get a Camry, it's exactly the same car?
I have heard others say that but I am not sure I agree. They share the same chassis and motor but big differences being much nicer seats, nicer interior and Lexus quality paint. Those might not be important to you and I but they are game changers for many women. My wife doesn't like the Camry but is quite at home in her friends ES. Chicks!
Old 05-31-2012, 03:16 PM   #15
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
I have heard others say that but I am not sure I agree. They share the same chassis and motor but big differences being much nicer seats, nicer interior and Lexus quality paint. Those might not be important to you and I but they are game changers for many women. My wife doesn't like the Camry but is quite at home in her friends ES. Chicks!
I have relatives with both and I've driven both alot. If you sat me down in either one and told me to drive around, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Both are equally mildly entertaining from a power and handling standpoint. But they ride the same, they handle the same, powertrains are the same. If there's a difference, you'd have to drive them back to back to tell.

The Lexus is nicer looking inside and out, but that's subjective. I don't notice any discernable difference in material quality, however I like the standard Camry cloth seats more than the leather in the ES.