Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #1

Who will the Republicans choose...

After watching the debate hear in Orlando and seeing this guy, Herman Cain, tucked away so no one you could seem him, but when he had an opportunity to answer a question, I found myself quite surprised in his candor and his 9-9-9 plan. They all are now, except for Perry, look good and most likely would perform better than what we have now. Here's my up line so far...looking forward to more debates
1) Herman Cain
2) Newt Gingrich
3) Ron Paul
4) Michele Bachmann
5) Mitt Romney

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #2

Garage
I'm going with Chuck Norris as a write in candidate !
Old 10-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #3

On tonight's evening news, they did the math on the 9-9-9 plan. A family of four, making 50k a year total household income, would end up paying thousands more unless the employers give the employees the SS withholding they will no longer have to pay.

Fat chance of that happening across the board. Some will, most won't.

Sadly, I believe Romney is going to get the nod from the GOP.

JD, last election I wrote in my own name. Voting for the least of the evils is still voting for evil in some capacity. If I were going to write in the name of someone else, I think I'd write in DAVE RAMSEY.

He's no better qualified than all the others, but the guy's got a solid outlook on life and no political agenda with TONS of sound financial thinking.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:15 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
On tonight's evening news, they did the math on the 9-9-9 plan. A family of four, making 50k a year total household income, would end up paying thousands more unless the employers give the employees the SS withholding they will no longer have to pay.

JD, last election I wrote in my own name. Voting for the least of the evils is still voting for evil in some capacity. If I were going to write in the name of someone else, I think I'd write in DAVE RAMSEY.

He's no better qualified than all the others, but the guy's got a solid outlook on life and no political agenda with TONS of sound financial thinking.
Ok. How about Robert Blake (aka Baretta) as a write in ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRa9uhiAPBs
Old 10-13-2011, 12:10 PM   #5

Quote:

Herman said, that the 6.5 % difference would be retained by the employee. Remember, it's a start to overhaul an outdated tax system and make it fair so everybody contributes. That's roughly on $500, $32 bucks more every week.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
Old 10-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #6

I realize it's a good start at a much needed overhaul... but it's got some serious additional tax expenses for the families of four living on $50k a year, of which there are millions... even with that 6.5% given back to the employee. The news report factored this in when they said the family would pay $5k or more per year in taxes (inclusive of the national sales tax placed on all purchased items on top of state sales taxes charged) considering the model does away with the dependent exemptions in the current model.

This is the problem with flat tax models. There's no way to keep the model simple and fair.

Then, one has to consider the impact implementing a flat tax model will have on a huge sector of business... the hundreds of thousands of tax accountants who would be out of work when everything became so simple anyone could file taxes.

I'm not saying we should keep what we've got to keep this sector employed by any means, but sweeping tax reform is gonna put a couple of million tax accountants and tax lawyers on the unemployment rolls overnight. I don't like them any more than the next guy and I see them as a necessary evil, but the impact on the economy will not be isolated or not felt by all of us who do not make a living off the complicated tax laws under which we currently live.

jcb, I must say though that I like Cain and these are not unsurmountable challenges. I certainly like Cain more than Romney. And I also think Cain would work well with those that win seats in the house from www.goooh.com.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 10-13-2011 at 12:40 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:04 PM   #7

I generally stay away from talking politics, I typical loose faith around this time in the 'system'
always the same story, hope rhetoric, change rhetoric, no taxes rhetoric, election, oh ****************, no way I can do all that plunder, plunder, plunder, get beat up, plunder some more, find a new sucker…

then 'system' needs change before we can we can improve significantly

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:48 AM   #8

Garage
Looks like the Hulk might jump into the race !
Losing the wrestling primary: Hulk Hogan tells Fox News he recants former support for Obama | The Ticket - Yahoo! News
Old 10-17-2011, 02:20 AM   #9

I depends. I would choose heaven if my love is there.
yannieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #10

Quote:
I realize it's a good start at a much needed overhaul... but it's got some serious additional tax expenses for the families of four living on $50k a year, of which there are millions... even with that 6.5% given back to the employee. The news report factored this in when they said the family would pay $5k or more per year in taxes (inclusive of the national sales tax placed on all purchased items on top of state sales taxes charged) considering the model does away with the dependent exemptions in the current model.

This is the problem with flat tax models. There's no way to keep the model simple and fair.

Then, one has to consider the impact implementing a flat tax model will have on a huge sector of business... the hundreds of thousands of tax accountants who would be out of work when everything became so simple anyone could file taxes.

I'm not saying we should keep what we've got to keep this sector employed by any means, but sweeping tax reform is gonna put a couple of million tax accountants and tax lawyers on the unemployment rolls overnight. I don't like them any more than the next guy and I see them as a necessary evil, but the impact on the economy will not be isolated or not felt by all of us who do not make a living off the complicated tax laws under which we currently live.

jcb, I must say though that I like Cain and these are not unsurmountable challenges. I certainly like Cain more than Romney. And I also think Cain would work well with those that win seats in the house from GOOOH | Get Out of Our House: A non-partisan plan to elect citizen representatives!.
OK...Cain's tax eliminates all the hidden taxes and just becomes a simple fair tax that may need tweaking, also, he's a self made man and as Rooney would say, "I like That". I bet he could cut a billions of waste out of our system, because he would tackle from the business side of running the government.

Old Hippie Young Heart
Old 11-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #11

They all bite. Not a strong candidate among the group.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:34 AM   #12

You can stick a fork in Herman Cain. 13 year extramarital affair gets you un-invited to the GOP Christian Conservative dance every time.

Congressional Republicans are now putting the GOP candidates in the tough spot of either agreeing with Obama that the payroll tax cut should be extended (by increasing taxes on the top 0.1%) or allowing incomes in the $50K to pay another $1K a year. And as we all know neither Republicans nor Democrats can figure out how to budget for tax cuts via spending cuts.
It simply has never happened under either party.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 11-29-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986 View Post
Herman said, that the 6.5 % difference would be retained by the employee. Remember, it's a start to overhaul an outdated tax system and make it fair so everybody contributes. That's roughly on $500, $32 bucks more every week.
Flat taxes assume income taxes are supposed to be fair. Income taxes were originally used to pay for wars and were never meant to tax the poor at all, only those with excess income. Since we can't see to go more than 7 years at a time without a war and the GOP supports a massive standing army and excessive military spending, we will need income taxes from the wealthy to pay for them. Plain and simple.

The lowering of the capital gains tax is also the major cause of income inequality in the is country and is allowing the top .1% in this country to make massive amounts of money with little to no taxes being paid, so any plan that does away with capital gains is just a give away to the uberwealthy ruling families in America and it's been repeatedly proven that these plans aren't deficit neutral.

No poor or middle class American should support any candidate that supports flat taxation.

silver arrow is offline   Reply With Quote