986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Photography Guys....Need Advice (http://986forum.com/forums/off-topic-discussions/28878-photography-guys-need-advice.html)

coreseller 05-13-2011 06:39 PM

Photography Guys....Need Advice

Hey Guys....I need a bit of advice from those of you who are up on Camera Equipment. A long time back when I was into phtography I had the obligatory Nikon 35mm set-up with all the lenses, etc. Now I got a few kids and for the last decade or so I've been using a smallish Canon Point and Shoot due to it's portability (fits in my front pocket), now I am looking to buy something better. A few years back I had a "Pro" take pic's of the kids (which turned out GREAT, well worth the money spent) and she used and recommended a Nikon D40X. I would like to purchase something to take to sporting, familty , etc. events to get better pics for the next few years or so while they're still young. I don't really want to cart around a grocery bag's worth of crap but would like something that grabs nicer pics than the PAS that we've been using. Obviously I'm looking at Digital Format. Any advice? Thanks in advance......Mark.

thstone 05-16-2011 10:46 AM

I use a Nikon D60 with a few different lenses. Its an awesome camera and 10 times better in picture quality than any point and shoot. As you noted, the tradeoff with an SLR is greatly improved picture quality versus portability.

Nikon seems to have quite a few different models (D40, D60, D3000, D5000, etc) in the same price range ($500-$1,000) so you may have to spend some time doing research comparisions between all of the different base models and their lense/accessory bundles.

markbike528 06-30-2011 12:16 PM

Still have the Nikon lenses? -- Brand choice made.
Old lenses (manual focus) still work on new Nikons.

The advantage in higher cost camera bodies is more buttons for things like ISO,white balance, exposure compensation, etc, less menu searching.

I got a D700 for the low light capabilities and got a lot of buttons and weight along with it. If you don't need that, virtually any currently sold Nikon will meet your needs.

Mark
D700 in Manual, Auto ISO max 6400
2000 Boxster, 2nd car ever owned.
1980 Honda CBX (6 cylinder bike)
1992 Honda CBR600 F2
1995 Kawasaki Ninja 500 (the wife's bike).

vitaminC 06-30-2011 04:40 PM

If you want small and light, but with way better performance than your P&S, try the Panasonic GF2, Sony NEX, Olympus EP, etc. All will do what you're looking for without breaking the bank or your back.