986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Its colder because its warmer?? Only the NY Times could publish this! (http://986forum.com/forums/off-topic-discussions/27279-its-colder-because-its-warmer-only-ny-times-could-publish.html)

Brucelee 12-26-2010 05:45 AM

Its colder because its warmer?? Only the NY Times could publish this!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/26/opinion/26cohen.html?_r=1&ref=opinion

Allen K. Littlefield 12-26-2010 07:38 AM

Of course

You will note that Mr. Cohen's business depends on the hoax being propagated. If it is getting warmer there can be no record lows, only record highs. Otherwise we could say that since it is getting colder we are having record highs. Last summer in the continental US we had record highs, long hot summer. Now we are getting even more record lows! So we can conclude that it is getting warmer not colder...because?.....Asian mtns.??? The tip off exposing this "man made" so called change is that the cure is higher taxes, gas prices and a new UN 'group' that will need funding to help the third world cope. US taxpayer are the target. Also if things are so cold that we have all this freezing due to arctic air, how can the ice be melting? Has it been consistently above 32degrees in the arctic? I know salt water freezes at a lower temp than fresh water but even given that 20+ below zero will freeze the you know what's off a brass monkey so what's up? We are supposed to believe reports by special interest groups that depend on a point of view for their increased funding plus reports from a 'computer model', movies and columns like Mr. Cohen has just released. Now off to get the shovel ready for our first major 'global warming' event (according to Mr. Cohen)!

AKL :eek:

Brucelee 12-26-2010 07:43 AM

These clowns pooh-pooh the impact of the Sun on climate. Duh.

Why do we have seasons? Because the Earth tilts up and down and when the rays are an a certain angle, well you get the picture.

Yet, the carbon guys villify the solar guys.

What a bunch of hooey.

RandallNeighbour 12-26-2010 08:34 AM

I have a marine aquarium and really enjoy snorkeling and diving whenever I can do it, which is only once every five or ten years... mostly because I like to do it on the Great Barrier Reef. I've been twice now and it always leaves me speechless it's so beautiful and complex.

I've always been skeptical of global warming as a permanent trend or shift in climate temps, but seeing coral reefs around the world recede the way they have due to a two degree increase has me rethinking my current position on the matter.

My hope is that we are experiencing just another warming cycle and that technology and communication are bringing it to light far more today than in any cycle before this time.

Allen K. Littlefield 12-26-2010 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I have a marine aquarium and really enjoy snorkeling and diving whenever I can do it, which is only once every five or ten years... mostly because I like to do it on the Great Barrier Reef. I've been twice now and it always leaves me speechless it's so beautiful and complex.

I've always been skeptical of global warming as a permanent trend or shift in climate temps, but seeing coral reefs around the world recede the way they have due to a two degree increase has me rethinking my current position on the matter.

My hope is that we are experiencing just another warming cycle and that technology and communication are bringing it to light far more today than in any cycle before this time.

Randall, since the planet has been warming and cooling long before ExxonMobil corporate execs decided to destroy the world, I would look to the Sun and its spots, changes etc. before I endorsed higher gas taxes as the answer. Follow the money again.

AKL :cheers:

jcb986 12-28-2010 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour

I am not sure about how much water is the worlds oceans, but I think it's more than 100 gallons, right.

The USGS also estimates that 96.5% of that water is in the planets oceans.

96.5%
X (1,100,000,000,000 gallons per cubic mile)
X (326,000,000 cubic miles)
===============================
= 346,049,000,000,000,000,000 gallons.

So, it really takes a big change to happen over many, many decades. Maybe it's the underwater volcanoes heating up the water. I really don't see how top temperature could effect this much water. I think what's causing most of the damage is chemicals washing off land masses into the oceans...

Brucelee 12-28-2010 02:41 PM

More inconvenient facts on climate

http://www.forbes.com/2010/12/23/media-climate-change-warming-opinions-contributors-larry-bell.html?boxes=Homepagemostpopular

RandallNeighbour 12-29-2010 07:00 AM

JCB, the El Niņo effect is raising temps on reefs in the Pacific, which is coming around far more often and with greater intensity than it used to according to reports I've seen.

Interestingly enough, coral reefs damaged by one thing or another bounce back fast if the threat is removed. What I do not agree with is all the environmentalists saying we'll never have reefs again if they die. This is total BS. They'll reform as soon as the pollution is removed or the silt from land clearing is stopped with mangrove plantations planted along the shorelines.

The El Niņo effect is uncontrollable, and if it sticks around in this intensity year after year it could really take down the Pacific reefs for good.

Brucelee 12-29-2010 07:27 AM

Berlin breaks 110 yr old snow record

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2010-12/29/c_13668400.htm