986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   New Member Introductions (http://986forum.com/forums/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   PPI from non-dealers? (http://986forum.com/forums/new-member-introductions/9263-ppi-non-dealers.html)

HIFI 01-30-2007 04:09 PM

PPI from non-dealers?

Any advice on getting a PPI from a non-dealer; ie. do they do anything special that an independant mechanic wouldn't?

I have a mechanic that has been working on Porsches for over 20 years who has offered to do an inspection for free if I take the car there for service. I am inclined to trust him, due to his reputation and sponsership of the local PCNA. However, I am a tad skeptical that a full inspection would be done at no charge.

Anything specifically that I should ask him if he does? (I doubt that the 4 wheel laser alignment would be included!)

Thanks!

racer_d 01-30-2007 04:39 PM

Most PPI's cost about $300, depending on how much you ask to have inspected. Most shops already have a guideline of items to inspect. Can range from simple (does the car run) to (give me a leakdown/compression check, download OBDII faults, Does everything work - lights, radio, trunk releases, etc, etc...)

A shop "waiving the fee" in return for you taking the car to them for service seems suspect. I would feel better paying for the inspection.

Alignments are not typically done, but inspecting the tires for unusual wear is (which is indicative of poor alignment).

How is an "independent mechanic" different than a "non-dealer"?

HIFI 01-30-2007 05:53 PM

How is an "independent mechanic" different than a "non-dealer"?[/QUOTE]

I used the two terms interchangeably.

So are there any "mission critical" items I should have a shop check for on a MY2000?

Thanks for the help

Travis 01-30-2007 06:29 PM

My thinking when I had mine performed was that the dealer would be able to look up and see if prior required service was performed and or TSB's acted upon, along with general inspection and OBDII readouts. The car I bought was always a local car, do not know if Porsche could look things up nationwide.

HIFI 01-31-2007 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis
My thinking when I had mine performed was that the dealer would be able to look up and see if prior required service was performed and or TSB's acted upon, along with general inspection and OBDII readouts. The car I bought was always a local car, do not know if Porsche could look things up nationwide.

What is an OBDII readout? Any other diagnostics that are necessary?

Travis 01-31-2007 03:57 PM

Where they can find what faults has been looged and how many times it has been red line, I am sure MNBoxster can get more detailed than I ;)

racer_d 01-31-2007 04:40 PM

OBD= On Board Diagnostic... II = Version 2? ;) (there is an OBDI, but I beleive all Porsches, and other brands(?) have used OBDII since 1996)

It is a simple computer plug in that allows one to download all the fault codes and "information" from the cars onboard computer. Tracks all kinds of stuff, like how many times you hit redline, for instance. Useful in diagnosing todays cars.

It is my understanding that a dealer can only reveal previous information if you have the previous owners release it. A bit like Dr/Patient confidentiality. That said, if the car has always been local they might still be able to look at the info, just not tell you what it says. I don't beleive PORSCHE's computer system would allow, say a dealer in Cali look up info on a car in Pa.

HIFI 01-31-2007 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racer_d
OBD= On Board Diagnostic... II = Version 2? ;) (there is an OBDI, but I beleive all Porsches, and other brands(?) have used OBDII since 1996)

It is a simple computer plug in that allows one to download all the fault codes and "information" from the cars onboard computer. Tracks all kinds of stuff, like how many times you hit redline, for instance. Useful in diagnosing todays cars.

It is my understanding that a dealer can only reveal previous information if you have the previous owners release it. A bit like Dr/Patient confidentiality. That said, if the car has always been local they might still be able to look at the info, just not tell you what it says. I don't beleive PORSCHE's computer system would allow, say a dealer in Cali look up info on a car in Pa.

Okay, that makes sense... good info. Anything else in the PPI that should especially be about?