986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   New Member Introductions (http://986forum.com/forums/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   Hello from LA (Lower Alabama) (http://986forum.com/forums/new-member-introductions/79453-hello-la-lower-alabama.html)

crispy15 01-26-2021 07:45 PM

Hello from LA (Lower Alabama)

Gooood evening party people! I purchased a 1999 arctic silver/red model (pics to follow) way back in November, but I've been lazy about getting on here to introduce myself. I've missed driving a car with three pedals, and this definitely scratches the itch.

The car is mostly stock and I plan on keeping it that way, with one exception. The previous owner installed an older Pioneer radio. My current project will be to swap in a Tiptronic steering wheel, and repurpose the shift buttons to control basic radio functions. Once I've finished that, I'm going to leave the car alone for a while.

I live in the Florida panhandle, which is really just an extension of lower Alabama. We're lucky enough to have top down weather for most of the year here. I was super proud of our weather (50's and 60's) until I recently visited the Keys and folks were out on jet skis and paddle boards! I guess it could always be worse though.

This board has been a great resource for both pre purchase advice, and post purchase DIY ideas. I'm looking forward to being here for a while.

CrisZenithBlue 01-27-2021 02:08 AM

Congrats on getting the boxster! Thats an odd first mod to begin with but very interesting nonetheless.

If I don't say it, someone will: pictures of the boxster or it never happened! :D

crispy15 01-27-2021 06:46 AM

Yea I thought this project was going to be something relatively inexpensive to start with. Just found out I may need to purchase a Tiptronic specific clock spring to pass the wiring through the steering wheel, so the costs are starting to add up.

Wish list for the future includes 2003+ top (hate doing the chop), GT3 shifter, bigger door speakers, and possibly an exhaust cutout like the Soul product. Not much else about the car that I'd like to change right now.

Here's the only pic I've got so far. I need to get her out for a photo shoot soon though. My wife is experimenting with ways to keep her hair under control with the top down. Anyone have a better suggestion than a hat?

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1611762039.jpg

Cunningr 01-27-2021 07:49 AM

Congrates and welcome! I miss Destin so much, should be down that way in the spring.

CrisZenithBlue 01-27-2021 11:14 AM

Interior/exterior color combo is really nice! Not much the wife can do about the hair, part of convertible life :)

BYprodriver 01-27-2021 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crispy15 (Post 629777)
Yea I thought this project was going to be something relatively inexpensive to start with. Just found out I may need to purchase a Tiptronic specific clock spring to pass the wiring through the steering wheel, so the costs are starting to add up.

Wish list for the future includes 2003+ top (hate doing the chop), GT3 shifter, bigger door speakers, and possibly an exhaust cutout like the Soul product. Not much else about the car that I'd like to change right now.

Here's the only pic I've got so far. I need to get her out for a photo shoot soon though. My wife is experimenting with ways to keep her hair under control with the top down. Anyone have a better suggestion than a hat?

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1611762039.jpg

Where was the pic taken ?:dance:

crispy15 01-27-2021 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue (Post 629783)
Interior/exterior color combo is really nice! Not much the wife can do about the hair, part of convertible life :)

Thanks! I've had two red cars prior (MR2 and S2000) and was initially looking for a red/tan combination. I saw this car though, and the colors really stood out to me. My wife has used the car as an excuse to buy more hats and coats. She knows I can't complain as it allows me to keep the top down more. I was surprised to find the car had heated seats. It's also got one touch up and down windows. Both were very pleasant surprises for a car made in the 90's.

I took the picture off Hwy 20, just east of Niceville in Florida.

Cunningr 01-27-2021 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crispy15 (Post 629792)
Thanks! I've had two red cars prior (MR2 and S2000) and was initially looking for a red/tan combination. I saw this car though, and the colors really stood out to me. My wife has used the car as an excuse to buy more hats and coats. She knows I can't complain as it allows me to keep the top down more. I was surprised to find the car had heated seats. It's also got one touch up and down windows. Both were very pleasant surprises for a car made in the 90's.

Swing by and give my ex wife the finger she is from niceville, still lives there. :D My current wife says ponytail only thing helps control her hair.

crispy15 01-27-2021 02:41 PM

Ha I'm a bit snobby and don't get up to Niceville often. Destin's got most everything we need, and with the exception of top down trips to 30A we tend to stay local. The only exception has been to get Pounders takeout. That stuff is crack.

I'll let the wife know about the ponytail. I have a feeling she's going to shoot that down after spending 30 minutes washing/drying/straightening it.

Cunningr 01-28-2021 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crispy15 (Post 629797)
Ha I'm a bit snobby and don't get up to Niceville often. Destin's got most everything we need, and with the exception of top down trips to 30A we tend to stay local. The only exception has been to get Pounders takeout. That stuff is crack.

I'll let the wife know about the ponytail. I have a feeling she's going to shoot that down after spending 30 minutes washing/drying/straightening it.

Haha when my wife rolls with me it has to be a planned event. Destin has changed a lot, I used to hang out at fudpuckers when it was a little shake halfway to Panama City.
Ah the memories.

Starter986 01-28-2021 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crispy15 (Post 629764)
Gooood evening party people! I purchased a 1999 arctic silver/red model (pics to follow) way back in November, but I've been lazy about getting on here to introduce myself. I've missed driving a car with three pedals, and this definitely scratches the itch.

The car is mostly stock and I plan on keeping it that way, with one exception. The previous owner installed an older Pioneer radio. My current project will be to swap in a Tiptronic steering wheel, and repurpose the shift buttons to control basic radio functions. Once I've finished that, I'm going to leave the car alone for a while.

I live in the Florida panhandle, which is really just an extension of lower Alabama. We're lucky enough to have top down weather for most of the year here. I was super proud of our weather (50's and 60's) until I recently visited the Keys and folks were out on jet skis and paddle boards! I guess it could always be worse though.

This board has been a great resource for both pre purchase advice, and post purchase DIY ideas. I'm looking forward to being here for a while.

I've got a 4-spoke Tip wheel with airbag. GREAT condition. LITTLE wear. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

Welcome!

CrisZenithBlue 01-28-2021 06:03 PM

Quote:

ah an S2000 man! i had a smurf S2000 before the Boxster. Suzuka blue on blue on blue. I absolutely loved that interior. you had an AP1 or AP2?

My wife finds any reason to buy hats, it's a sickness and they havent found a cure.

crispy15 01-28-2021 06:05 PM

Well that'll teach me to lurk... I've already got one on the way from eBay. If it shows up in poor condition I might hit you up. Thanks for the offer though. You don't happen to have the clock spring for the wheel do you?

crispy15 01-28-2021 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue (Post 629819)
ah an S2000 man! i had a smurf S2000 before the Boxster. Suzuka blue on blue on blue. I absolutely loved that interior. you had an AP1 or AP2?

My wife finds any reason to buy hats, it's a sickness and they havent found a cure.

It was a red 2001. Coming from the RX-8 made 9000 rpms seem normal. I think the interior was spot on too. I loved that car, I just couldn't handle going deaf after 30 minutes on the interstate.

Hats, coats, and shoes seem to be the current affliction.

CrisZenithBlue 01-30-2021 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crispy15 (Post 629822)
It was a red 2001. Coming from the RX-8 made 9000 rpms seem normal. I think the interior was spot on too. I loved that car, I just couldn't handle going deaf after 30 minutes on the interstate.

Hats, coats, and shoes seem to be the current affliction.

i had a 2004 and only went up to 8200. agree about interior, with a couple of mods it was pretty much spot on. but as far as refinement.. the thing was a toy car! great sports car but very very raw. i took it on several 3k miles roadtrips but it wears you out quick. Boxster is much more refined on long drives and in general and the exhaust note is more exotic. i'm still a bit thirsty for an S2000 but at the same time, i wouldnt want to give up the Boxster. They are both special cars in my opinion

dghii 01-30-2021 07:41 PM

Welcome from another Panhandler in Panama City Beach, FL!

crispy15 01-31-2021 07:33 AM

I can't imagine spending that much time in the Honda. Your thoughts are pretty much the same as mine though regarding both cars. I still get nostalgic whenever I see an S2000 drive by.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dghii (Post 629894)
Welcome from another Panhandler in Panama City Beach, FL!

Thanks! Seems like 30a runs are the best we've got in the local area for cruising. I just discovered how nice Rosemary Beach is. Wife and I have been going there for our fancy dates recently.

BYprodriver 01-31-2021 08:21 AM

Quote:

I rented a S2000 for a day before buying my Boxster 6-speed. I like to shift myself but not nonstop like the S2000 requires! :eek:

dghii 01-31-2021 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crispy15 (Post 629907)
I can't imagine spending that much time in the Honda. Your thoughts are pretty much the same as mine though regarding both cars. I still get nostalgic whenever I see an S2000 drive by.

Thanks! Seems like 30a runs are the best we've got in the local area for cruising. I just discovered how nice Rosemary Beach is. Wife and I have been going there for our fancy dates recently.

We love 30A area. Just big $$. If we sell our current home, thats where we're heading. Most likely over toward Santa Rosa end.
I remember when all of the Rosemary Seacrest and Ayls Beach area was nothing but scrub, owned by Barber Milk folks. Now its crazy busy but very nice.

crispy15 02-01-2021 05:26 PM

The S2000 was one of the sweetest shifting car I've driven. It did require a lot of work to keep the engine on cam. I'm enjoying having a little more torque with the 2.5. Plus I think the boxer sounds way better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dghii (Post 629931)
We love 30A area. Just big $$. If we sell our current home, thats where we're heading. Most likely over toward Santa Rosa end.
I remember when all of the Rosemary Seacrest and Ayls Beach area was nothing but scrub, owned by Barber Milk folks. Now its crazy busy but very nice.

The whole area is just nuts right now. My upstairs neighbor listed his condo for 2.5 times what he paid and it was under contract within the week for more than his asking price. I've lived in Destin since 2010, and I've noticed it blow up even in the past decade.