Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2020, 11:28 AM   #1

Another new owner, from Maryland

Hello,

Been into Porsche for a while, never thought I would own one. A new neighbor posted his 2001 Base for sale and here I am.

In 1996 I worked at an airport when car magazine guys came. They let me choose a car to get a ride up and down the runway with in the morning. Of course I chose the 993 Turbo. I remember big acceleration followed by extreme braking.

At the time I had a poster on my wall: a purple 993 Turbo with the words, "Kills bugs fast." It was cool to get that ride.

In the early 2000s I lived near Willow Springs and went to the PCA, POA, and the one Tribute to Lemans events. Always cool to see the cars flogged. My roommates family owned the track so I spent a lot of time there. I started racing motorcycles when I wasn't falling off them.

Anywho, I am here to learn and try to keep this car road worthy without going broke.

Cheers

Ray

Last edited by Rayrevolver; 07-17-2020 at 07:53 AM.
Rayrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:46 PM   #2

Garage
Welcome to this forum. Posts some pictures when you get a chance. I hope you have nothing but good times and enjoyment with your new car. There are a lot of good people and information on this forum.
Phat Hippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 05:24 PM   #3

Congrats! Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine. Lots of great folks on this forum. We can get sideways every now and then given the right topic but 99% of the time these are some of the best folks you could know. Take advantage of us, always willing to help.
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 05:41 PM   #4

Thanks gents!

Don't mind the mess. This is the first time we have ever parked a car in this spot. Normally a lawn mower, kayaks, and a golf cart live here. Installed the tennis ball so we don't get garage rash. True story, in 2001 they didn't have cameras and parking sensors.

You cannot see it, but at the front of the car is the hardtop on a wheeled storage frame.

Going to work 2 items this weekend:
- Oil and Filter Change, have a look at the drains and radiators

- Mrs Revolver wants a more modern stereo so I have an Alpine ILX-W650 incoming. Hoping that install isn't too hard, this car has the a/c controls at the bottom already. I have not messed with car audio since high school. I did find a receipt for the installation of speakers behind the drivers head in that cubby area. I hope I can figure out the wiring and its not too hacked up.
Old 07-17-2020, 05:09 AM   #5

This was a double.

Last edited by Rayrevolver; 07-17-2020 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:09 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayrevolver View Post
Hello,

Been into Porsche for a while, never thought I would own one. A new neighbor posted his 2001 Base for sale and here I am.

In 1996 I worked at an airport when car magazine guys came. They let me choose a car to get a ride up and down the runway with in the morning. Of course I chose the 993 Turbo. I remember big acceleration followed by extreme braking.

At the time I had a poster on my wall: a purple 993 Turbo with the words, "Kills bugs fast." It was cool to get that ride.

Anywho, I am here to learn and try to keep this car road worthy without going broke.

Cheers

Ray

Welcome, in 2000 I had a job test driving new cars before they went to Magazines & celebritys. A new Boss I hated caused me to quit the only job I ever loved so 1st thing I did was buy a 2000 Boxster S.
Raced it at Willow Springs often & drove it there for the Motor Press Track day
Old 07-17-2020, 09:17 AM   #7

Not sure if this post will happen or not. I have already responded twice because I didn't realize a mod needs to approve my posts.

Nice, a test driving job would be amazing! I was a passenger in my own car at Willow. It was a trackday and I was bumming around. They said I couldn't drive but an instructor asked if he could take my 2003 SVT Focus for a spin.

I ran 1:32 dead on my 600, which was good for mid-pack during most 600/650 races.

EDIT: Ok, it posted. I wonder if adding pictures from my photo account caused the issue?
Old 07-17-2020, 02:32 PM   #8
Will there be cake?

Garage
Another new owner, from Maryland

Where in Maryland? Rockville here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:11 AM   #9

Went to St Marys City for breakfast today.

I am using a chromebook and started messing with the photo settings. There is a "pop" setting and I accidentally saved the picture with some pop in it. Might have goofed with the color as well. And it automatically saved the changes to my phone so there is no going back.

So this photo has been modified and it looks good!!!

Last edited by Rayrevolver; 07-21-2020 at 07:15 AM.