Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2020, 09:37 PM   #1

New member - inherited a 2002 Boxster S

Hey everyone, I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself and perhaps seek a little guidance.

My name is Kris and I'm an automotive product designer in Las Vegas, NV. I work around domestics, but have a bit of background in the Euro scene, having owned several BMWs: an E46 M3, an E60 M5 (the V10 model...loved that car), and an E70 X5M in the past.

Sadly, last week, my dad passed away from complications related to congestive heart failure and a bout with pneumonia. He was an incredible guy and a Porsche lover for decades. He owned a pair of 911's in the early 70's while he was stationed in Germany (where he met my mom) and always had a soft spot for them. Several years back he picked up a very clean '02 Boxster S 6-speed from the original owner to enjoy as a weekend car. Not long after buying it, he found himself no longer able to drive it due to some of his health issues.

Since my mom doesn't drive stick anymore and at 71 doesn't find herself wanting a convertible, it looks as though I'm going to be responsible for the car. I don't quite fit in the car and I have a few too many cars as it is, so I may end up selling the car for my mom in the not-so-distant future. A few months ago, my dad told me that the car was in need of a throw out bearing and that he wanted to look into doing the intermediate shaft bearing at the same time. The car has a little over 75K miles on it currently. Based on some basic searching, it sounds as though this is a fairly involved/expensive job, so I'm debating whether or not I'll have any luck selling the car as-is (taking the cost of the repair into account) or if I should spend the money to have the car fixed and try to sell it for more. I thought I would consult actual enthusiasts who are knowledgeable when it comes to these cars before trusting the word of a local indy repair shop. I'm wide open to suggestions on what to do with the car.

If I do hang on to the car for a while, I'm sure this forum will come in handy for other tech info as well. I look forward to learning more about the car either way.

KH

KrisH71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:33 PM   #2

Garage
Sorry for your loss.
Seems the P car only needs some clutch work (throwout bearing). The IMS is an option. I would fix the throw out bearing and sell.