Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2019, 06:17 PM   #1

New Guy Here

Just picked up my first real Porsche. I had a Beck Speedster for a dozen years but let it go as part of my retirement lifestyle/finances changes. Relocated to Central Oregon in February 2018 and, after deciding my GTi was the wrong car for the gravel road I live on I downgraded to an F250 to accommodate my wife’s new horse hobby. Driving that beast when not hauling or towing lost its luster quickly. So, back to something small, agile, and fun. Stumbled into a 1999 986 that turned over 10,000 miles on its way home from San Francisco. Base model, 5 speed, Pastel Yellow with Black top and gray interior. Still has its original Pirelli PZeros and I’m now waiting for recent snow to melt to drive down to the Bend Costco to get new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s installed.
Still trying to decide whether to do an IMS upgrade or live dangerously. Looking forward to learning and sharing with this community.

9erFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:41 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I'm guessing this one? Beautiful car...

Someone noticed it in post 1115 here:
What did you find on CL today?

Welcome to the forum.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:30 PM   #3

Garage
From the research I did when I owned a 986, low mileage cars are more prone to IMS failure that high mileage ones. As yours only has 10,000 miles, which is very low, I’d definitely consider either replacing the IMS bearing or installing an IMS guardian to give you warning of an impending failure.
chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:23 AM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Welcome!

By the way, '99 isn't affected by the IMS issue (EDIT: to the degree of the '00/'01+ MY, that everyone is concerned about).

Last edited by rick3000; 12-04-2019 at 07:39 AM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:55 AM   #5
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
Welcome!

By the way, '99 isn't affected my the IMS issue.
By the way, '99 [has a dual row bearing from the factory and is less] affected my the IMS issue [, but still is known to have failures].
Old 12-04-2019, 07:23 AM   #6

78F350 you are correct, sir. Missed the car on BAT but saw it later as an RMN. I contacted the seller and asked if he was ready to move the car out of his inventory. My price was close to what the BAT high bidder would have paid after the auction fee.

9erFan is offline   Reply With Quote