Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2019, 03:40 AM   #1

My first Porsche :)

Hi all,

I just bought my very first Porsche - it is a 986 Boxter, 1998, 2.5 litres.
I am Bulgarian and english is not my native language, so please excuse me for making mistakes and so.
I had a very good deal on this one and even it is late autumn here I decided to buy it now and wait for the spring Meanwhile I will have a lot of questions as there are a lot of things I would like to fix with the car.
So, here it is

As you can imagine this is not the original color. According to Porsche this one was produced red, but someone over the years did a very nice job on the paint. I am not sure that I will keep it orange, but it might grow on me.

The car works as it should or at least for now, the only problem is with the top - it is missing some motors and wires and electronic system is not working, so I will have to deal with that. Also the tyres are a little bit big, so I will replase the wheels maybe, even these one look really good.

The interior is also custome - a lot of orange accents on the leather on seats and center console, it looks good, but needs a nice cleaning.

Any way - my adventure with Porsche just started and I will have whole winter to learn a lot about this beauty and take care of parts, upgrades and so on.

Hope that the comunity will help me and excuse me in advance for the ton of questions that I will ask

Best,
Atanas

monopola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 03:40 PM   #2

Welcome to 986forum and congratulation on your 1st porsche ownership!
About the top, for sure many here in this forum can help you fix it.
and for the wheels, looks like you have 18” wheels. if yes, that is a good upgrade for 986 and check the speedo if it gives you accurate reading and it means just keep the wheel size.
for the color, for me I like it especially if it is still in good shape.
ndfrigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:05 PM   #3
01 Seal Gray 986 S

Hi monopola, welcome!

As far as i know t was not an option in 98, but the color looks close to Zanzibar Red. My guess is that the previous owner had it resprayed something like it.

Link: https://www.rennbow.org/colorwiki/ZanzibarRed

I actually saw a car that had a Zanzibar Red wrap on it near where i live before I found the car I bought.
bg305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 12:15 AM   #4

ndfrigi,

yes, you are right, 18” wheels and they look really good. The problem is that the front tyres are wrong size and a little bit big, but this is easy fix as I can replace them. But in fact the real problem is that in Bulgaria roads are far from being good. Bigger wheels means less comfort and on bad road you can really feel the lack of comfort Anyway I will take care of this set of wheels to bring back their beauty and will decide on that later.

bg305,

thanks for that! Looks like you are right and the color might be exactly this one. The paint is perfect, not even a signle scratch on it, even that I do not know when it was painted. I was thinking for a shade of blue paint and chocolate brown leather interior, but for sure will keep the organge for at least one season, after all it really looks great!

And one not very good photo of the interior:

monopola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 03:38 AM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Love. That. Color. I wouldn't change it.

The interior accents? Nice.

Get the top fixed... flesh in the interior parts that are missing... leave on the wheels/tire, but install spacers... and spend a lot, A LOT, of time reading upon these pages before spring hits. I don't want to have to be telling you how to check the oil when March 2020 rolls around.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-27-2019, 09:21 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by monopola View Post
Hi all,

I just bought my very first Porsche - it is a 986 Boxter, 1998, 2.5 litres.
I am Bulgarian and english is not my native language, so please excuse me for making mistakes and so.
I had a very good deal on this one and even it is late autumn here I decided to buy it now and wait for the spring Meanwhile I will have a lot of questions as there are a lot of things I would like to fix with the car.
So, here it is

As you can imagine this is not the original color. According to Porsche this one was produced red, but someone over the years did a very nice job on the paint. I am not sure that I will keep it orange, but it might grow on me.

The car works as it should or at least for now, the only problem is with the top - it is missing some motors and wires and electronic system is not working, so I will have to deal with that. Also the tyres are a little bit big, so I will replase the wheels maybe, even these one look really good.

The interior is also custome - a lot of orange accents on the leather on seats and center console, it looks good, but needs a nice cleaning.

Any way - my adventure with Porsche just started and I will have whole winter to learn a lot about this beauty and take care of parts, upgrades and so on.

Hope that the comunity will help me and excuse me in advance for the ton of questions that I will ask

Best,
Atanas
Nice! Keep the color and save your $ for maintenance and other projects/upgrades.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:37 PM   #7

Garage
Those interior accents look really nice!

Tremonte986 is offline   Reply With Quote