Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2019, 10:04 AM   #1

Garage
Lurker from the shadows

After a long search to purchase my first Porsche, I ended up deciding on a Boxster. I had contemplated a 928 for a long time, but could never find exactly what I wanted that either wasn't a basket case, or it was more than I wanted to spend the first go-round.

Classified after classified, forum after forum, many a video review later, I decided to look for an early S model and knew what to look for. The wife and I made many trips to various individuals and dealer lots test driving and looking at cars. But, alas, nothing that I felt fit either my criteria, or lacked the records and low owner count I desired.

Upon chance and a "since we're down here, may as well look" attitude after yet another failed test drive in a car with a bad knock, we saw an ad for a 2000 base model that looked to be in really good shape, with very good miles. 51,304 to be exact. I called the folks, and they were available to show us the car within the hour. It was an always garaged, 2 owner car in near flawless condition, with extensive service records. The "B" on the Boxster rear emblem had the little tail broken, and there was a scratch on the rear spoiler cover. The outcome from a garage mishap I was told, and a very minor issue to me. Long story short, the car ran and drove excellent, I made an offer, they accepted, and she now belongs to me.

In the past few months of ownership, I have installed a new clutch, LN IMSB, new AOS, replaced the coolant tank and all associated lines, along with new oil fill tubes to be proactive in keeping the car healthy. Recently I've installed new brakes and slotted rotors, found a newer set of 18" Boxster lobster claws cheap, and threw some new treads on.

I wanted to do a little performance and sportiness upgrade to bring out that flat six sound a bit more, so I desnorkled the car and decided to fab up my own "PSE" style exhaust system. The outcome is an amazing sound, and I quite like the finished look. I plan to install test pipes in the next couple months. (20 years will have passed on the car, and I won't have to worry about emission testing any longer) I don't plan on changing the headers as of right now.

Also, I contacted Joe Toth and had a ducktail made. I painted and installed that myself as well. I love the look and finish. Great product he makes if anyone else is considering one. The rear "Boxster" emblem was removed and replaced with "Porsche" during the ducktail install as well. Anyway, a big thanks to all those folks here and elsewhere for posting such detailed info on these cars. It made finding, purchasing and working on this auto much easier!

/TLDR: Bought a Porsche Boxster, did stuff, here's pics....

Tremonte

Tremonte986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:29 AM   #2

Garage
Welcome, sounds like you did your homework well. Porsche's in all silver/gray always look so purposeful no matter the year. Someday when I have more money than I know what to do with I will own a 928, 1st Porsche I was attracted to.

Last edited by BYprodriver; 11-23-2019 at 10:31 AM.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 03:11 PM   #3
01 Seal Gray 986 S

Hi Tremonte,

Great looking car! Just went through the search myself, casually was looking for 3-6 months, then actually looking for another 3 before I found mine.

How did you paint the duck tail? Did you use a paint gun, compressor, etc, or can you use touch up paint in a can?

Any pics of the back with the emblem? Mine was de-badged completely and i really like the clean look but I have been debating a crest or just "Porsche" perhaps in the 550 spyder style.
bg305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:32 AM   #4
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Welcome to the Boxster Universe Tremonte. Your Intro/First Post is perfect. It is so complete, with pictures to boot, that 'Starter986' is speechless!

Have fun with your new toy. You have some fantastic roads to drive where you live.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:40 AM   #5
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremonte986 View Post
After a long search to purchase my first Porsche, I ended up deciding on a boxster.
Long story short, the car ran and drove excellent, I made an offer, they accepted, and she now belongs to me.

Tremonte
Welcome!
Excellent fun there!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:25 AM   #6

Nice! Those wheels look great. I'd love a vid with sound. Been thinking about giving mine a little more growl and your exhaust mod looks interesting.
Allegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:00 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegro View Post
Nice! Those wheels look great. I'd love a vid with sound. Been thinking about giving mine a little more growl and your exhaust mod looks interesting.
I will definitely be posting some videos. It just so happens I do an occasional YouTube how-to video as a hobby. Mostly motorcycle stuff, riding vids, rebuilds etc., but I plan on adding an automotive aspect soon to cover the Porsche.

For the person that asked about the rear emblem.... I got all of my info from this forum, measurements and all. I believe it was a post from ParticleWave if I remember right.
Tremonte986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:31 AM   #8
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
Welcome to the Boxster Universe Tremonte. Your Intro/First Post is perfect. It is so complete, with pictures to boot, that 'Starter986' is speechless!

Have fun with your new toy. You have some fantastic roads to drive where you live.
Ha Ha Ha Ha! Seriously... that made my morning. And, it's only 430 (got up at 3), so you've set my day off to a good start!

I wasn't online much this weekend, buty did see that post... and thought... "That's a great post. There's nothing to botch about." One of my sons came in from LV yesterday... so I was gone all day returning home last evening... too late to visit the forum. Speechless? Ha!

I agree with you, Paul. Proper introduction... pictures... and very informative. Guy didn't try to sell anything or ask for help on first post.

Welcome Tremonte986! Nice car! Great first post! See ya around.

Last edited by Starter986; 11-25-2019 at 03:33 AM.
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote