Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2019, 05:57 PM   #1

Hello from florida

Thanks to the faq's , I'm not sure I want to play with boxsters . I'm looking at what looks like a a nice one , but ...... Below is an link to it . Opinions please .
I'm an old shadetree mechanic . Had a lot of fun with chevys and am about tired of miatas . Thanks for any info .
https://pensacola.craigslist.org/cto/d/pensacola-porsche-boxster-986/6985139429.html

Toolinalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:18 PM   #2

Garage
Looks decent and in good condition; price seems fair based on condition and service done. The IMS isn't done, however, I would not worry much about that. Next is to test drive, work the top, does it drive straight, any conspicuous noise rattles, etc.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:40 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
Looks decent and in good condition; price seems fair based on condition and service done. The IMS isn't done, however, I would not worry much about that. Next is to test drive, work the top, does it drive straight, any conspicuous noise rattles, etc.
Price is unbelievable unless there is some major issue with it. You may never have a chance to get into a Boxster this cheap again.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:09 PM   #4

Thank you

Please forgive me but what is ims ? This is kind of how I started with miatas back in 06 . Asking questions until I learned the forum and proceeded to learn the car . It being an 98 is there a risk of early engine failure like I read in the faq s ?
I don't baby my cars . Is the boxster up to seeing 7 k rpm shifts a dozen or so times a day like my miatas ? Thanks for any info and yall putting up with a newbie with a lot to learn.
PS the price is a red flag to me . It well below NADA ......
Old 09-25-2019, 02:38 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolinalong View Post
Please forgive me but what is ims ? This is kind of how I started with miatas back in 06 . Asking questions until I learned the forum and proceeded to learn the car . It being an 98 is there a risk of early engine failure like I read in the faq s ?
I don't baby my cars . Is the boxster up to seeing 7 k rpm shifts a dozen or so times a day like my miatas ? Thanks for any info and yall putting up with a newbie with a lot to learn.
PS the price is a red flag to me . It well below NADA ......

Exactly what I was referring to. Search the forum to find more info the car is 11 years old all the answers are already here.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:11 PM   #6

Thank you

It was my mistake to assume an simple question and an opinion which both could have been answered in 20 seconds to be forth coming . Thanks anyway .
Old 09-27-2019, 02:37 AM   #7
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
It was my mistake to assume an simple question and an opinion which both could have been answered in 20 seconds to be forth coming . Thanks anyway .
It would take far longer than that and I’m pretty sure you’re capable of figuring out how to search and read.

The ‘98 has the double row IMSB and is highly unlikely to fail, so I’m not sure why “Ciao” even mentioned it.
A ‘98 also redlines at 6500rpm.

Last edited by particlewave; 09-27-2019 at 02:44 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:06 AM   #8
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Your question wasn't simple. It required thought and consideration. Far more than the 20 seconds you claim. That said...

You've got three posts, pal. Don't be that **************************** who asks questions for which, with a search, the answers already are there. Things are different now than they were in 2006. The Internet was invented, and there's a ****************load of information on it. You type in a question and, voila, the answer is revealed. try it.

Oh, and it takes less than 20 seconds.

You're welcome.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:58 PM   #9

Thank you

T Y , Particlewave , It's a moot point now . My questions were for a car that was for sale and I really did not have time to search . I passed on the car .
Red lines at 6.5 k rpm , is that fuel cut ? Just kidding . I'll search .......
Old 09-27-2019, 09:01 PM   #10
Custom User Title Here

Garage
The first gen 986 (2.5l) has a rev limiter at 6500. I believe both the 2.7 and 3.2 red line at 7000, but don’t quote me on that.

For the record, first gen cars are rock solid, though not speed demons. Very fun and agile, like a go-kart on steroids. The ‘99 is the best of the first gen (earlier cars had d-chunk cylinder issues). It has a double row IMSB (intermediate shaft bearing), whereas the later models have a single row bearing that is more susceptible to failure, it does not have the terrible soft touch interior that later models have (that peels and looks awful), and has the reinforced (stiffer) unibody for less flex and accommodating larger wheels.

Yep, ‘99 all the way
(I may be biased)

Last edited by particlewave; 09-27-2019 at 09:03 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote