Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2019, 04:49 AM   #1
ThreeSheds

53 years of dreaming

It all started in 1966 when "Practical Motorist" (I think..) had an article about a 911.
I fell in love with it at that moment, and, in spite of various dalliances with other makes, the Porsche was always there in the background, like a first love that I could never forget.

Then in 1983, a business situation saw me getting a lift in a 911 from Nottingham to Derby, and there is a bend in the A52 that I had never even noticed before, but at about 110mph was pretty significant… Boy did it impress me how it handled…

In 1994 the lottery started and my then GF bought me a ticket for my birthday and asked me what I would do if I won – without hesitation I said that I would walk into the nearest Porsche dealer and buy one on the spot.

2006, and a friend bought a 911 (996) and he gave me a lift one time... But never again! I thought we were going to die for sure... I have never been so fast in a car. That put me off having lifts with him, but damn! was I impressed with the car!

In 2010 I was sitting outside a pub in the hot evening sunshine and a gorgeous black 911 pulled up right next to me. I spent the rest of the evening trying to join in the conversation but being seriously distracted by the presence of such beauty. However, I had already been seduced by the dark side – and I kept looking at the 911 and thinking: “It’s wonderful, but I’d prefer a Boxster”. This was a significant moment since it was the very first time since 1966 that ANYTHING had supplanted the 911 in my heart…

So – fast forward to a couple of months ago when I decided that I had finally saved enough to blow some of it on something frivolous, and number one on my bucket list* was “open top sports car” so I started looking around and quickly settled on an MX5, but the dreaded mission creep set in and soon I started looking at Boxsters. The rest, as they say, is history.

So a week ago I became the owner of an 04 Boxster.. It was about twice the amount that I wanted to spend but you can't take it with you as they say

Wish me luck… I hope it’s not a lemon… (feeling trepidatious)

Roger

*A Porsche hadn’t even made it onto my bucket list since I thought I would never be able to afford one.. I hadn’t realised how cheap Boxsters had become!

Last edited by ThreeSheds; 08-27-2019 at 04:54 AM.
ThreeSheds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:56 AM   #2
ThreeSheds

I just removed the photo from my original post because I noticed that the metadata had the exact location where it was taken... Hopefully there are not too many similar photos on line that I have posted!

I'll try to work out how to remove that and repost...
Old 08-27-2019, 05:07 AM   #3
ThreeSheds

Old 08-27-2019, 05:41 AM   #4

Garage
Congratulations on fulfilling your long time Porsche dreams. I have never had a car that was more fun to drive then my Boxster.

The price is heavy though as the dreams now turn into worry. You have already started "... Wish me luck… I hope it’s not a lemon… (feeling trepidatious) ..."

I always give my boxster a pat on the top and a thank you when I pull into the garage after a mechanically event-less drive. It has (to date) always gotten me home.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:35 AM   #5

Congrates, beautiful area to drive in too!