Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2019, 04:46 PM   #1

Question 2002 Boxster engine knocking noise.

Hi every one second post here and hope everyone is well!

As per my previous post: I am from Sydney and have just bought a 2002 Boxster (FYI dark blue with cream leather <3 - as I failed to attach a photo to this post using my iPhone as it gave a JPEG thingy error message - please help?) - why I didn't acquire this wonderful thing before and wasted my time with other cars I don't know!

Just one day after purchasing the car (for a very good price so I want to fix rather than return it), I noticed an engine knocking noise.

The noise also get louder as the car warm up.

And, accidentally I found that after being tilted to get on a tow truck, the noise was gone for a day with normal driving, but then back on again - oil level related...?

A Porsche dealer's technician listened quickly and say it could be "hydraulic lifters (tappet), exhaust leek, external drive pulleys. The infamous IMS problem doesn't have knocking noise", and said that I need to book the car in when they have vacancy in 21th this month August for a proper diagnosis.

Could you please help me:

1. Is it true that the infamous IMS problem doesn't have a knocking noise?

2. In each case of tappets/exhause leak/pulleys: What would it be if I want to save for now and really need the car all times and not having the car fixxed but continue to drive it? Would it worsen any other parts and how much affect on performence?

Thank you very much guys!!!!!

TIM QUACH
Architecta.com.au | Director
M. 0420946997
Bachelor of Architecture, Master of Architecture Design, Master of Architecture Computing - University of New South Wales 2005
Certified Autodesk Revit Professional 2011

AkiRofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:40 PM   #2

The ims will just go, as far as i know no warning signs.

Some lifter noise is normal for about 1st 30 seconds when you start up first thing.

I phone doesnt use jpeg as a default file you need to convert the file to a jpeg or gif. You can get an app that will do that for you.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:39 AM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Park the car! Do not drive it another mile! If it's knocking, don't be rocking. If that IMS fails your entire engine could explode. There are many, many reportable instances of fiery deaths of drivers who have failed to heed the warnings. Park the car.

Oh... you might enjoy better luck/proper responses of your inquiries if you leave the NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS and present your inquiries in the GENERAL DISCUSSION section.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:32 AM   #4

I would just return it. I'm assuming you bought the car from a dealer with some kind of return/warranty policy. IN the US, Boxsters are a dime a dozen.

Be careful, you can buy these cars for very cheap but if you don't do your own wrenching, they will become very expensive very quickly.

In the US, if you go to a Porsche dealer, any small fix, like a water pump, motor mount, etc is always $1000.00+

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:17 AM   #5
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
While all the other replies are good advice, it's still very likely that the knocking you hear could be a very minor problem. I've had a heat shield on the exhaust come a little loose and it sounded like the engine was coming apart. Two quick spot welds and it was fixed. If tilting the car from towing it made the sound go away, maybe the oil level is too low or the wrong oil was used. I assume that you have no knowledge of the previous oil change.

While "IN the US, Boxsters are a dime a dozen.", I know that's not the case in Australia. My advice is to have it checked. If it is covered by a warranty from the seller consider if driving it further will be your liability or theirs. Some problems can become significantly more expensive quickly and some have no consequences.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:58 PM   #6

Probably not iMS. When the IMS fails, the engine quickly destroys itself.

Knocking could be minor or major like a main bearing. A through check by an experience mechanic is important.

I'd drive it a little as possible, if at all, until you know what's really going on.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 03:20 PM   #7

Thank you every one for all helpful answers!!! (I thought I subscribed to eamil notifications of answers but no).

I forgot to add a very important factor that: apart from being tilted on a tilt truck makes the noise go away for some 30 minutes, the noise starts out quiet when I first start the car, and get worse as the car heats up after say 10 minutes of driving.

1. Would these factors eliminate a timing chain problem?

2. How much in US/Australia to fix timing chain problem?

3. Is fixing timing chain an engine out job?

And to answer your concerns: I bought the car ~$10K cheaper than market price from a very nice old man as a private sale, and also felt in love with it the first time I drove so there's an emotional bond I think that I will try and keep it

Also as being advised I will start a new thread on the Bosxter Forum for this too.

Thank you very much again to everyone and hope you are well.

Kind Regards,

TIM QUACH
Director | Architecta Pty Ltd
Bachelor of Architecture, Master of Architecture Design, Master of Architecture Computing - University of New South Wales 2005Certified Autodesk Revit Professional 2011

A Level 10, 6 Mount Olympus Boulevard, Wolli Creek, NSW 2205
T 0420946997
W www.architecta.com.au

AkiRofe is offline   Reply With Quote