986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   New Member Introductions (http://986forum.com/forums/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   Bought a 2.5 blind from ebay BAD DECISION (http://986forum.com/forums/new-member-introductions/74295-bought-2-5-blind-ebay-bad-decision.html)

Geoffjackson 01-01-2019 09:06 AM

Bought a 2.5 blind from ebay BAD DECISION

Hi folks as the title suggests I purchased a 1999 2.5 boxster from eBay I was the highest bidder, over the moon as I have wanted a boxster for a long time
I had lengthy conversations with the previous keeper of 4 years who was selling for health reasons.
I was very investigative and asked if there were any issues etc, took the plunge and ended up winning the car.
So a few months on I haven’t done much with the car. It’s sat on my drive pretty much as it arrived at the back end of the summer.
No tax mot etc.
I’ve replaced two front tyres and fixed the adjustable rear spoiler.
Annoyingly I suspect the car needs a clutch, it has also developed a rattle when it comes up to temp.
My predicament now is I have posted a thread on Facebook 986 group and a few have suggested it could be chain tensioners.
I’m now faced with spending the purchase price on the car to get it fixed.
What to do?

Starter986 01-02-2019 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoffjackson (Post 586662)
Hi folks as the title suggests I purchased a 1999 2.5 boxster from eBay I was the highest bidder, over the moon as I have wanted a boxster for a long time
I had lengthy conversations with the previous keeper of 4 years who was selling for health reasons.
I was very investigative and asked if there were any issues etc, took the plunge and ended up winning the car.
So a few months on I haven’t done much with the car. It’s sat on my drive pretty much as it arrived at the back end of the summer.
No tax mot etc.
Annoyingly I suspect the car needs a clutch, it has also developed a rattle when it comes up to temp.
My predicament now is I have posted a thread on Facebook 986 group and a few have suggested it could be chain tensioners.
What to do?

Wiser heads may prevail... but I would recommend paying to have a PPPI performed (post pre-purchase inspection). That likely will identify all things needing repair or maintenance... and then you can post on here for those wiser heads to recommend if it's a keeper or killer.

Good luck.

maytag 01-02-2019 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 586694)
Wiser heads may prevail... but I would recommend paying to have a PPPI performed (post pre-purchase inspection). That likely will identify all things needing repair or maintenance... and then you can post on here for those wiser heads to recommend if it's a keeper or killer.

Good luck.

This is good advice. Unless you're a wrench-turner yourself, in which case I'd start with pulling the covers and pinpointing where that sound comes from.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

JayG 01-02-2019 12:00 PM

Sorry to hear of your problems

fyi: there is a pretty good forum based on your side of the pond, boxa.net
Not as good as this one, but lots of people from the UK and Europe

gabedrummin 01-02-2019 05:44 PM

If you buy a Boxster you had better plan on spending lots of time and money fixing stuff. The reason you got it cheap was the previous owner got tired of spending lots of money on it.The parts are expensive .If you have to pay for labor its going to hurt.My Boxster has had an engine put in with all the little bits and pieces all new rotors and shoes , new coil-overs all rubber bushing ,Zeon Headlights .New Seats all new exhaust .Two sets of tires all within 3 years .I love the car so I take care whats needed. Then when you thing its all done your power steering rack starts to leak .Mine is 19 years old at that point pretty much everything needs replacing. Learn how to work on it or get ride of it. Its not a cheap car to maintain.

jmitro 01-02-2019 08:22 PM

you didn't explain why it's just sitting. Did you not know about whatever problems it has before you bought it?

seningen 01-08-2019 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoffjackson (Post 586662)
No tax mot etc.
What to do?

Porsche’s can be cheap to buy, but not to own... a 20 year old sports car is going to need some tlc... so you’re go8ng to pay in time or money or both...

However, the Boxster is not that hard to work on if you have tools, patience, and some knowledge & a place to work ... They are also a blast to drive hard!

Mike

Starter986 01-09-2019 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seningen (Post 587041)
However, the Boxster is not that hard to work on if you have tools, patience, and some knowledge & a place to work ...

Keyword: Patience.

And a garage would be nice, too. I've done everything under my carport... with neighbor cars on either side. When they leave for the day I'm out there tooling.

Have a pen and paper handy so you can jot down all the new cuss words you invent.

Cheers!

Cunningr 01-09-2019 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 586694)

Good luck.

This is best advice given so far! I suggest getting an inspection even if your a wrench turner that way you can have a priority order of the things you need to address and can set a budget and go from there. As mentioned boxa.net has mostly UK members maybe you can find a nearby boxster owner willing to help out some.