Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2018, 03:38 PM   #1

Garage
Ahoy hoy maties

Greetings and salutations boys and girls!

New-ish to the forum, and I've been shamed into finally introducing myself!

After 10 years of crashing Ducatis I decided it was time to focus my attention on toys that were less deadly, so I bought my Midnight Blue 2004 Boxster in October and am in love. Paid $8100 for 68k miles on the odometer and in pretty great shape. I haven't really *done* anything special to the car, but somehow I've managed to spend $2k+ just catching up on maintenance and fixing nicky nacky stuff (dome light, radio installation, oil change, break fluid, serpentine belt, driver's airbag switch, etc).

Picture of seller with car (and ugly headlight cover things)

Can't believe my luck: I stopped at a hotel by the freeway last night and woke up to see that someone broke into the car RIGHT NEXT TO MINE. I almost crapped my pants.

Apparently the spoiler wasn't as *attached* as I had hoped it would be. Lost this on I-5:

Boleador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:03 PM   #2
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boleador View Post
......After 10 years of crashing Ducatis I decided it was time to focus my attention on toys that were less deadly......
A man after my own tastes.
Tell me more? Crashing ducatis on the racetrack, I hope?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:28 PM   #3

Garage
Welcome and hello. I picked up a 2004 Boxster S this past March and had a great time. Put away for winter now and can’t wait till spring. Enjoy! Rick
Rickvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:29 PM   #4
On the slippery slope

Garage
Welcome

I used to live at Catalena and Sapphire

I had a similar issue with my spoiler cover. I noticed it was loose and ended up pop riveting it on.

If you are interested in tracking your car, think about joining PCA. Lots of track ]\rats in the south bay
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 11:04 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
A man after my own tastes.
Tell me more? Crashing ducatis on the racetrack, I hope?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I had a 2007 Sport Classic (I miss that bike!!), two different 1098s, and my last bike was a 2012 Aprilia Tuono -Great bike for sport touring! I used to track them at Buttonwillow, Willow Springs, and Chuckwalla, but (terrifyingly) all of my accidents were the result of canyon rides where my stupid brain never knew when to slow down and be safe... Ultimately, I exceeded the allowable lean angle for the road conditions a few times and luckily "walked" away with my life and a few screws in my ankle. That's when I realized the problem was between my ears and I had to find another hobby.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:10 PM   #6

Garage
Thanks guys! I'm near Ford and Aviation these days, very small world, I lived on Catalina and Emerald when I first moved to LA!

I noticed it was loose and thought, "hmmmmm I should do something about that." Now it's going to cost me $300 to fix instead of $.03!!!

Very interested in doing a few track days! I just got a PCA membership but haven't looked into it too much. What do you recommend? SCCA type racing? Regular track days? Or specific skills training events?
Old 12-25-2018, 06:43 AM   #7
On the slippery slope

Garage
If you have never driven a car on the track, you should get some training. Some of the open track days can get pretty wild. I don't have any experience with SCCA events, so can't comment

PCASDR ( Porsche Club of America San Diego Region) has a great track DE/TT program with 4 DE weekends each year. The other So Cal regions also have some track days. One of the LA regions does a few 1 day De's at Streets of Willow and sometimes Chuckwalla.

It is an extremely well run program and super safe for all drivers at all levels. We have a DE coming up in late Jan., but due to the high demand, the DE portion may be waitlisted already.
Https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/pca-sdr-de-time-trial-chuckwalla-cw-valley-raceway-san-diego-756691

You can find the events on motorsportsreg.com

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 12-25-2018 at 06:46 AM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote