Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2018, 04:23 PM   #1

Talking New to me 99

Hey gang,

I just bought a 1999 Boxster that needed some work. The alarm module has been replaced, top replaced, replaced front seats, headlight switch, horn button, radiators cleaned and blown out, driver side seat belt buckle, and speakers have been replaced/repaired by me so far, and I am really liking this car. It runs and drives perfectly! I've got my work cut out for me to make it look nice on the outside again, since it is a black car that spent its life in Texas and the paint needs major correction.

Once I finish that up, I'll either sell this car (I tend to do that once I make them perfect for someone else of course) or I may just keep it. After I've done all this work, it is still a 19-year old base 2.5L Boxster with 142K miles, leaving its value quite low. Who knows, maybe I'll just drive her and replace the engine when the time comes (which is completely unknown since I have no history but the oil and coolant are clean and she runs absolutely perfect)...

Last edited by Jibbster; 10-01-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Jibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:49 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Nice, and welcome to the forum. Your description reminds me a lot of my first 986. A little rough and neglected when I first got it and about the same miles as yours.
Be careful: It is a lot easier to buy more than it is to start selling them. Here's a pic of mine when I finally sold it, but by then I had bought about five more.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:36 PM   #3

Thanks 78F350, 5 Boxsters certainly sounds like a party! How many miles did your first Boxster last?

I have a bit of experience wrenching on P-cars, having owned several 911’s (‘88, ‘84, and currently still have an ‘87). I haven’t worked on a mid-engine P-car, but it almost seems like there’s more engine accessibility than on my ‘87 911...
Jibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:51 PM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibbster View Post
Thanks 78F350, 5 Boxsters certainly sounds like a party! How many miles did your first Boxster last?...
My first one was still under 150k miles when I sold it. I heard from the buyer a year later and it was still doing well. Forum member Jager went over 300k on his, then sold it and bought a newer one. Plenty have been doing well with over 200k miles.