986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   New Member Introductions (http://986forum.com/forums/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   Hello - Looking to buy a Boxster (http://986forum.com/forums/new-member-introductions/72871-hello-looking-buy-boxster.html)

phook 07-26-2018 08:50 AM

Hello - Looking to buy a Boxster

Hello! Just making a quick post to introduce myself. Back in March, my company gave me a company car and I just recently decided to pass my 2012 VW GTI on to my little brother (he'll be paying me monthly of course) and pick up a Boxster! I'm super excited because I've been window shopping these for the past year.

Primary purpose for the vehicle will be AutoX, HPDE, and weekend driving through the great roads we have here around Los Angeles. I've been looking into 2.7 Boxsters with IMS done but am also considering 2.5. Although I'm a bit concerned with slipped sleeves on the 2.5 - but it'd be nice to be able to build towards a BSX or BSR set up.

I know there will be a few who say to get a 3.2 BS but I feel that the price ranges of those with IMS done - I'd rather save up a bit more and get a 996.

Edit* deleted a question I found an answer for.

thstone 07-30-2018 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phook (Post 576070)
... but am also considering 2.5. Although I'm a bit concerned with slipped sleeves on the 2.5 ...

Slipped sleeves were an issue on the early 2.5's and any that were going to fail have already done so. This isn't a issue or concern on a nearly 20 yr old engine with 50K miles or more.

78F350 07-30-2018 08:53 PM

I've had several 1999s that were all solid reliable cars. My daughter daily drives my '99 with a little over 140k miles. Rebuilt Tiptronic transmission, refreshed suspension, and IMS/RMS, but nothing else in it's history other than normal maintenance.
My first Boxster was well over 140k miles, abused by a couple previous owners, but still running great.
I bought Retroman's high mileage '99 when it was having transmission (Tiptronic) problems at about 175k miles. I fixed a few things, put a couple thousand more miles on and re-sold it. Recently saw it for sale again well over 180k miles and for a couple thousand more than I sold it for.
ANY 20 year old car should be thoroughly checked and refreshed if you plan to run it hard, but I would not be more concerned about a 2.5l Boxster than any other car of it's age.

...and if you search thstone's posts, you can read of how many hours he runs these engines at red-line, before he swaps in another used 2.5l engine.

Cunningr 07-30-2018 11:36 PM

I know you said not interested in a 3.2 but fact is you get better brakes as well as a bit more HP and a 6 speed as a starting point. Just to add reminder why the cars are going for more. Also will hold higher resale value in the long run.

You mentioned rather have a 996 over a 3.2 you maybe should reevaluate what you really want or need before investing. You wouldn’t want to get into a older Boxster then realize you really wanted a 996 which are at decent price point.

phook 08-07-2018 07:22 AM

Thanks for the reply everyone!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cunningr (Post 576389)
I know you said not interested in a 3.2 but fact is you get better brakes as well as a bit more HP and a 6 speed as a starting point. Just to add reminder why the cars are going for more. Also will hold higher resale value in the long run.

You mentioned rather have a 996 over a 3.2 you maybe should reevaluate what you really want or need before investing. You wouldn’t want to get into a older Boxster then realize you really wanted a 996 which are at decent price point.

I've thought about it and wouldn't mind a 3.2 if the price is right and the IMS has been done. I'm trying to keep the budget around $10-11K since I will be autocrossing and tracking the car. So I'm trying to either find a 986 with the IMS done or low enough in price where I can just get it done.

Most 3.2 I found with IMS done sits in the $12-18K range. A 3.2 without IMS done are all around $10K so it would come out to about $13-14k+ with preventative maintenance taken care of. I did find a 3.2 with IMS done for about $11.5k, but it's about 300 miles away from me. I would certainly love the drive back, but just trying to figure out if I want to spend the extra money on it.

I have found a few 996 with IMS done at around $17-20K but it would be almost twice my budget. If I was going to spend about $15-16k on a Boxster, I feel that I could either save a bit more or take a loan and get the 996.

A 911 is definitely the end goal in terms of vehicle ownership, but I can be patient on that front. I test drove a 2000 986 with IMS done for about $10K. I think the 2.7 is a feels adequate. It's going to be a weekend only car since I have a company vehicle w/ gas paid for; saving gas with the 6th gear isn't an issue to me. As far as brakes go, I think some good fluid + track pads should be sufficient for my performance level - which is basically a complete beginner on track.

phook 08-21-2018 06:37 AM

I ended up buying a black 2000 Boxster yesterday with IMS/RMS/Clutch done on the vehicle :D. About 79k miles for $10K here in Los Angeles.

Cunningr 08-21-2018 06:41 AM

Congrates!:cheers:

phook 08-21-2018 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cunningr (Post 577834)
Congrates!:cheers:

Thanks! I'm really enjoying the car so far! I woke up early this morning for a top-down drive. It's really an amazing experience in the early morning since it's too hot in the afternoon here lol

Cunningr 08-21-2018 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phook (Post 577840)
Thanks! I'm really enjoying the car so far! I woke up early this morning for a top-down drive. It's really an amazing experience in the early morning since it's too hot in the afternoon here lol

Same here been driving to work a couple of days to get that early morning open air. Its over 100 here in the afternoon, few weeks ago was 115.

Keeps you smiling.

phook 08-21-2018 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cunningr (Post 577854)
Same here been driving to work a couple of days to get that early morning open air. Its over 100 here in the afternoon, few weeks ago was 115.

Keeps you smiling.

I just went for a night drive before bed to some short twisties but very local. The way this car hugs the road is very impressive! I almost didn't want to brake on some of the turns I knew my GTI couldn't handle, but I am still learning the car and didn't want to push it too much. Although I did redline the car for the first time on to a freeway and my god that howl right behind your ears is simply intoxicating. I'm officially addicted!