986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   New Member Introductions (http://986forum.com/forums/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   Warranty help?? (http://986forum.com/forums/new-member-introductions/6937-warranty-help.html)

Rick Hartley 08-01-2006 11:44 AM

Warranty help??

I just bought an '02 Boxster with 14000 miles - mint condition by all appearances. I bought it from a dealer & wound up with the extended warranty but have 60 days to cancel. The warranty is the "Platinum" coverage from "Carefree Car Protection". Anyone with any experience with this warranty (and its exclusions). I can get a mechanic to look it over but figured I'd ask here first. Does this cover the infamous rear seal??? (I'm no mechanic and can't figure out all the mumbo jumbo)

The cost of the warranty for 4 years/48k from purchase was $1880.00.

Thanks for any thoughts. This is my first Porsche & I am completely in love - had a late night ride on a newly paved country road - unreal.

Rick

Brucelee 08-01-2006 12:14 PM

Suggest you call warranty company and ask them directly. Obtain written confirmation of any assurances they give you that are not contained in the actual warranty contract.

ultimate1 08-15-2006 08:33 PM

You should make certain that the warranty covers wear and tear and seals and gaskets. If you don't have that coverage then you will need a complete breakdown of a covered part or the warranty will not cover repairs. I looked at numerous plans before I settled with a coverage with API that included wear and tear and seals and gaskets for somthing like $2400 for a 3 year/36000 mile warranty. Just pm me if you want to talk to my warranty guy.

You will need seal and gasket coverage to protect you from any potential RMS problems.

I know I love my Zenith Blue 2000 below and I had to take care of her

Brucelee 08-16-2006 05:32 AM

I heard on the Internet that Blue Boxsters do not leak!

CJ_Boxster 08-29-2006 01:04 PM

Does that include midnite blue boxsters? :D
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucelee
I heard on the Internet that Blue Boxsters do not leak!

KronixSpeed 08-29-2006 01:38 PM

lol...ya right...i wish blue boxster's didn't leak....

my porsche dealer offered me an in-house aftermarket warranty. how it kinda works is i pay $3500 for lets say 4 years. in this 4 years i can have as many repairs done, covered by warranty and i dont get any money back if i claim under warranty. this should cover the rms and engine. n if in the 4 years i don't have any major work done and don't use my warranty. they well give me my $3500 back.

anyone heard of a warranty like this before........

MrBoxster 12-26-2006 09:17 AM

I got mine at a Rick Hendrick and the warrenty should be good at any import shop. All I have to pay is a $50 deductible for each visit. And it does not cover wear and tear.
What is the deal with the gaskets?
And what is a rear seal?

FrayAdjacent 12-27-2006 02:57 PM

The rear seal, the Rear Main Seal, is one of the problem areas in the 986 engine. Although, through my research (don't have a Boxster yet, about to pull the trigger on a 2001 base), if it happens, it mostly amounts to an annoyance.

If your warranty covers seals and gaskets, then a leaking RMS would be covered. It's a somewhat costly repair, IIRC. Better to be able to have it done for your $50 deductible, than completely out of pocket!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBoxster
I got mine at a Rick Hendrick and the warrenty should be good at any import shop. All I have to pay is a $50 deductible for each visit. And it does not cover wear and tear.
What is the deal with the gaskets?
And what is a rear seal?

Soetekouw 12-29-2006 09:57 AM

Warranty Direct

Has anyone dealt with a company called WARRANTY DIRECT? It offers a bumper-to-bumper warranty to include emmissions and wear and tear for approx $2000 for 7 years or 100,000 miles (it kicks in after the manufacturer warranty runs out for the term or miles indicated).