986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   New Member Introductions (http://986forum.com/forums/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   Proud 1st Time Boxster Owner (http://986forum.com/forums/new-member-introductions/55464-proud-1st-time-boxster-owner.html)

bparrish 01-18-2015 07:01 PM

Proud 1st Time Boxster Owner

Hi all,
Just purchased a "new to me" 2000 Base Boxster. Actually it really is close to new with only 9800 miles! It even smells like a new car still...
PO had IMS replaced by Raby along with AOS, clutch, serpentine belt and H2O pump. Thinking about "laying it down" 5 more years in my garage until it reaches a classic status @ 20th birthday, but it is a real pleasure to drive!
Does anyone have any insight on what a classic Boxster with mileage in the high teens might sell for? Looking forward to following this forum.
Billhttp://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1421640039.jpg

oc-boxster 01-18-2015 07:40 PM

I recommend driving the car as much as you can and enjoying it, I doubt the boxster will ever be considered a classic nor will one appreciate in value from not having miles put on it.

Porsche9 01-18-2015 08:29 PM

Drive it and enjoy it. If you want to wait another 25 years it might be a collectable Classic in the way the 914 is finally becoming. Even then it will never be worth big bucks.

Giller 01-19-2015 02:58 AM

I'll never understand why someone would own a car like this and not drive it. 14 years old and only 9800 miles? What's the fun of a car like this just sitting in a garage, especially with all the work done to it?

RandallNeighbour 01-19-2015 07:52 AM

OP: Porsche sold a LOT of boxsters, and they're collectability is going to take a lot longer than 20 years to appreciate IMO. Not sure how many years, but a lot more than 20 years. Boxsters are cheap cars to buy now. That's not going to change any time soon, especially with the build quality of the 986 being less than desirable compared to the newer ones.

With this in mind, if I were you I'd drive that car as much as possible. You live in the wonderful land of twisty mountain roads and it would be a shame not to drive it there if there's no snow on the ground. Your first trip should be to the Tail of the Dragon.

With the age of the car and the low miles, driving it will keep it from springing a bunch of oil leaks due to gasket rot.

bparrish 01-19-2015 04:03 PM

Thanks everyone. Good points all. I think I will take the advice to just enjoy it. I'm hoping to get many miles out of it!

Bald Eagle 01-20-2015 05:31 AM

This past June I bought a 2000 S with only 10,800 miles. Between June and the end of October I put 4000 miles on it and enjoyed every one of them. While the Boxster looks great in the garage for me, it is a heck of a lot more enjoyable on the road though others seem to like gazing and polishing more than driving. Can't wait to take it out of storage the end of March.

Different strokes...

Larry (the Bald Eagle)

Jinx 01-20-2015 09:02 AM

Jinx and I are in Pittsburgh. 2003 base model.
Summer performance tires.

I took it out after the last ice storm we had. Level
Parking area, no light poles. No other cars.

Just like a car control clinic. Tons of fun.

I'm doing regular driving with just a little snow
No problems at all.

Drive and enjoy the Boxster.

JayG 01-20-2015 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinx (Post 432488)
Jinx and I are in Pittsburgh. 2003 base model.
Summer performance tires.

I took it out after the last ice storm we had. Level
Parking area, no light poles. No other cars.

Just like a car control clinic. Tons of fun.

I'm doing regular driving with just a little snow
No problems at all.

Drive and enjoy the Boxster.

slip sliding away.....