Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2005, 08:15 AM   #1

Question List of "fixes" for a 1997 Boxster?

I'm soon picking up my cousin's 1997 Boxster. He's babied this car (he has a few others) and it only has about 35,000 miles on it. I know it's not been wrecked or anything -- he's one of my GOOD relatives and would tell me!

My question after reading some info below is what are some of the "fixes" I should look at and consider doing? I've read something about the following:

1. Original convertible top transmission cables stretch and cause a $1200 problem and should be replaced with the reinforced ones.

2. Is there an issue with the coolant resevoir in the rear trunk?

Any other things I should be aware of in factoring in the price of car? If there are things that are "must do's", I'd like to know and figure in pricing. Thanks for any info.

hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:16 AM   #2

Cables...

"Original convertible top transmission cables stretch and cause a $1200 problem and should be replaced with the reinforced ones."

Can't speak for the coolant tank but my cables failed 6 hours after I got my 97!!! Talk about BUZZ KILL! I did not go with a dealer but to a trusted mechanic. To replace the cables, the other parts that broke because the cables failed, to put it back together because I disassembled it because I needed the clamshell in a down position to drive (roof was thankfully up), and labor...$700. Not cheap. So if yo get a jump on that...think the cables are $30...all the better. Because they will fail...not if.

Melissa
MelissaInNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser
I'm soon picking up my cousin's 1997 Boxster. He's babied this car (he has a few others) and it only has about 35,000 miles on it. I know it's not been wrecked or anything -- he's one of my GOOD relatives and would tell me!

My question after reading some info below is what are some of the "fixes" I should look at and consider doing? I've read something about the following:

1. Original convertible top transmission cables stretch and cause a $1200 problem and should be replaced with the reinforced ones.

2. Is there an issue with the coolant resevoir in the rear trunk?

Any other things I should be aware of in factoring in the price of car? If there are things that are "must do's", I'd like to know and figure in pricing. Thanks for any info.
Sometimes the coolant reservior will crack and leak (NOT A MUST DO). It happend to me a month ago with my 2000 Boxster S 48,000 miles. Cost me $600 (includes part) from a good Porsche mechanic www.herg.net and I bought the part for $150. They're a pain in the ass to get out.

Here's a MUST DO:

Be sure it had the 30,000 mile service done.....that's about $800-$1100 right there.

KRZ

Voghtland 30-50mm Coilovers
19x8.5 x 19x10 Forgline rims
Magnaflow Exhaust

Last edited by KRZTACO; 03-02-2006 at 08:22 AM.
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:29 AM   #4

I think you will find the little web site I set up to be illuminating...
http://www.iwantaporsche.net

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote