Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #1

New to Porsche

Bought my first Porsche as a Christmas present to myself. It is a 2001 Base, Lapis Blue, Tiptronic with 56K miles. It is extremely clean with a number of nice upgrades including Nav screen, satellite radio, iPod and Bluetooth ready, built-in Valentine radar detector, and a custom stereo system. Not a blemish on the paint and the interior is immaculate. I never expected to find a ten year old car this clean. I was looking for Guards Red or Metallic Gray; but when I found this clean car I decided not to pass it up.

Originally I expected to buy a manual transmission, but after facing typical traffic on I-4 lately I decided to go with the Tiptronic transmission. At 67 years of age my clutch knee will probably appreciate that decision. It is still fun going through the gears manually with the Tiptronic.

Then I discovered this forum and all the talk about IMS failure. Should have come here first. In any event, I'll have the oil filter checked for debris at my 60K routine maintenance. Look forward to many years of motoring pleasure.

BlueStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #2

Relax/Enjoy/Use The Search Function

Don't waste time worrying about an IMS failure. I've had my Box for three years and couldn't be happier.
Just enjoy the car. Worrying about what might happen is a total waste of time.
If you have questions for forum members, use the search function first. Too many people post questions that have been answered a hundred times.
Remember, we're all in this together and the combined wisdom available through this forum is amazing.
So, don't worry..... be happy. And, congratulations. You have a beautiful Boxster and you're going to have many years of driving fun.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #3

Beautiful car.The interior looks spotless.Congratulations you will enjoy it.I bought a 2000 three years ago and still love it.It had 55,000 and a one owner and I have had absolutely no problems with it.If you can do some of the basic maintenance yourself you will save a lot.I found a blue lapis 1999 for friends of mine.It had 40,000 miles and they drove it back to Canada and it has run suberbly since they have had it.I am 65 and feel like a teenager again while listening to oldies on a beautiful day.Drive with pleasure
lahalte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:46 AM   #4

Beautiful car and interior ! Drive it every chance you get. Find an excuse to go on an errand every day, except rain days. Hardware store ??? In the next town over !!!
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:38 AM   #5

Thanks for the Welcome

I appreciate the words of encouragement and the nice comments about the car. I was a member of a Jaguar E-Type forum for 10 years and know the value of a group of individuals who are excited and knowledgeable about their cars. Prior to my Boxster I had a 1968 XKE and a 1963 Series One XKE roadster. I still am partial to the beauty of those cars but I'm looking forward to the excellence and reliability of German engineering with my Boxster.

It has been a while since I have had such a longing to hit the road with the top down. Wouldn't you know it, since buying the car the weather in Central Florida has been chilly. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and low 70's so things are looking up.
BlueStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #6

When I bought my 986, everything I had to do was and still is "over in the next town" That is your best excuse !!! Good for you !!!
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #7

Garage
I'm in Central Florida too and just picked up my first Boxster yesterday! I opted for the 5-speed though because I don't spend much time on I-4. I do spend a lot of time on the Turnpike though which is a lot less congested. Well congrats on your addition and enjoy it because it's quite an awesome car!
1stBlkBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #8

Garage
I've put 45k miles on my 2002 in the past 4 summers with virtually no problems. I don't worry much abot the IMS but I did buy a Raby 'IMS Gaurdian' to hopefully warn me of any IMS issues before they may cause expensive damage. It may be worth some investigation. For me, it was worth the $365 (costs a little more now).
Enjoy the Boxster and welcome to the 986 Forum!!

MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote