Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #1

2004 vs. 2005 Boxster S

I have been researching Boxsters for quite some time now and have decided that I do want an S and also a manual tranny...Now I would like some of You owners to tell me what You think of the differences between the 2004 & 2005 model years. I think I like the dash layout and other interior changes that the 2005 has.
Enlighten me on the other changes/differences !

sierramoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
I think this question was asked recently and has a good trail if you want further reading. Myself I would want the 2004 'S', the 2005 new interior is nice and has 280hp where the 2004 has about 260hp. Not sure that difference matters in a roadster. 2004 will save you some money for repairs and will be just as fun. Will this be a daily driver?..or fun. I would also go sit in both years, I found the pre-2005 seats more comfortable for my bad back.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramoto
I have been researching Boxsters for quite some time now and have decided that I do want an S and also a manual tranny...Now I would like some of You owners to tell me what You think of the differences between the 2004 & 2005 model years. I think I like the dash layout and other interior changes that the 2005 has.
Enlighten me on the other changes/differences !
Try both and see which one you like more. The important differences are only in what you see and feel, what's underneath is essentially the same.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:41 AM   #4

I'm a big guy, and I definitely have more room in a 2003-4 than in a 2005. The 2004 also allow removal of the center console (GT3 console delete option) which makes the car comfortable for me. Check to see how you fit in each.
dmairspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:28 AM   #5

In choosing

Go back and read the reviews of the 2005 when they came out as many did comparisons of the previous year's version.

A summary list of differences is:

2005 Base (almost totally new model)

2.7Litre 240 HP

5 speed manual transmission, Tiptronic optional

Variable ratio power steering

Stiffer chassis, wider wheel alignment

Bigger brakes

Head airbags

PSM standard

17” wheels standard (18”, 19” optional)

Improved headlights

More cockpit room

Better positioned roll bars

2005 S model

3.2Litre 280 HP

New 6 speed manual transmission, Tiptronic 5 speed optional

Bigger brakes even than prior S models (Ceramic brakes CBBS option)

PSM Standard (PASM active suspension optional)

18” wheels standard, 19” optional

Sports chrono package option

I owned 2 986s, to me the interior room and interior styling of the 987 was superior. But that is this man's opinion. It is your opinion that counts.

For a couple of K difference, if I were buying today, I'd prefer the 987. But the '04 986 is a wonderful car.

Make sure you really want the 6 speeds of the S versus the 5 speed in your daily driving. And I actually was more pleased with the lower HP base model I owned versus the S as I could press harder and longer with my right foot.

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote