Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 12:09 PM   #1

Impressions after 3 weeks of ownership

I hope I don't jinx it, but three weeks after buying a 2000 2.7 5 spd, I think I did okay. During the test drive, the car drove absolutely perfectly. The motor revved eagerly, the gears were perfect, the clutch had just the slightest bit of catchiness below 1000 RPMs, but was perfectly smooth at higher RPMs. The steering was tight and the car tracked perfectly straight. Red exterior, black interior which I would say are 8-9 each on a scale of 10. New Bridgestones all-around with less than 2000 miles, new top with a glass window, and new brakes and rotors.

The maintenance records were spotty, but all of the work had been done at various dealers, including regular brake fluid and gearbox oil changes.

So far so good, but I had done some research on Boxsters before I went to purchase it, and of course came across all of the horror stories about spontaneous engine detonations due to IMS failures. When I checked out the car, I noticed there were just a couple of spots of oil on the seller's garage floor, which almost caused me to walk away. It's a high mileage car, 114,000 miles, but I figured if it had made it this far, then it must be pretty well sorted out by this point.

It was decision time. I had driven over three hours to go look at the car, and I would've walked away if I really thought there was something seriously wrong with it, so I decided to take a chance. We had agreed to a purchase price of $7,500 over the phone and the private seller held up her end of the bargain and I became the proud owner of a Boxster.

Once I got it home and up on jacks, I could see that there was absolutely no oil leaking from the flywheel area. What a relief. It looks like there is the slightest amount of oil weeping from the valve covers, but that's about it.

I love this car, knock on wood!

san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Welcome to the Forum!

Best of luck with the car. They are a lot of fun. We love to see pictures on this forum so post some of your car when you get a chance!
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:49 PM   #3

Garage
Congratulations on your new vehicle . Wow, to think that a person can pick up a boxster
regardless of what year or iteration for $7,500 is astonishing . My "02 S was a heavily option vehicle that sticker out at 62k plus. Several years later and over 30k in mods, I shutter to think what the depreciation on my vehicle has been .
Old 05-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
Congratulations on your new vehicle . Wow, to think that a person can pick up a boxster
regardless of what year or iteration for $7,500 is astonishing . My "02 S was a heavily option vehicle that sticker out at 62k plus. Several years later and over 30k in mods, I shutter to think what the depreciation on my vehicle has been .
Yes, I guess I was pretty lucky. Florida is awash with Porsches, so the prices here are pretty low. The seller is a widow and the car was her husband's toy. It was on sale for quite a while before i picked it up.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:38 PM   #5

Not to burst your bubble, but have the wheel bearings, drop links, struts, control arms, and other normal wear items been replaced on your high mileage Boxster? They all due for a swap when the car is over 100k miles.

Most of us have learned that the least expensive Porsche you buy will become the most expensive car you've owned to date.

Let's hope the PO put some maintenance money into the suspension the year before you bought it.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Not to burst your bubble, but have the wheel bearings, drop links, struts, control arms, and other normal wear items been replaced on your high mileage Boxster? They all due for a swap when the car is over 100k miles.

Most of us have learned that the least expensive Porsche you buy will become the most expensive car you've owned to date.

Let's hope the PO put some maintenance money into the suspension the year before you bought it.

I'm not too worried about suspension repairs. I'm an ok wrench and so far, everything seems tight.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #7

Garage
Drive it. Enjoy it.
Be mindful of service interval maintenance
did the widow know if her hubby had a repair history for car?
Maybe she can give info as to where he had it serviced.
welcome to forum.....post pics....read about other owners
and their experiences
cheers
Chris
Old 05-23-2011, 06:53 PM   #8

Great buyers story! I'm kinda on the hunt for my first one. What color exterior and interior?

litespeedp is offline   Reply With Quote