Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 07:20 PM   #1

It is coming !

Just want to stop and say Hi to the 986 gang !
Me , a photographer who is trading in a gorgeous 129 Sport (Benz)
for a even sexier 2000 S silver on black Will drive there tomorrow and i hope we can have a deal.
Come in and take a look , Tell me what you think it has to be checked after a test drive ??
http://www.liautofind.com/CarDetails.asp?c=LongIslandAutoFind&VIN=WP0CB2983Y U664762&color=Silver&transmission=Automatic&make=P orsche&model=Boxster

Thanks all !

Dimitris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #2

check the coolant cap. unless it ends in 04 ask that it be updated otherwise you're looking at possible coolant leak from the reservoir. also point out there is a missing center cap (porsche logo) on the driver side rear wheel. mention, though i doubt it will mean much to them that you'll be thinking of replacing the top with an aftermarket glass top. make sure the window isn't currently cracked. also doubt they'd know but ask about the IMS and the RMS repairs. check for any oil leaks - RMS issue. make sure the spare tire has the toolkit - various wrench / socket items wrapped in leather. the spare should have a foam piece behind it that holds the car jack.

if you can, get a pre-purchase inspection. that will tell you a lot more about the car than carfax ever will.

Last edited by tonycarreon; 02-25-2011 at 08:19 PM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #3

Thanks Tony ! The leaks and the fact that so many owners had engine replacements disappoints me and scares me as well. Hopefully it will show after a test drive . Not familiar with the IMS issue yet . .
Old 02-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris
Not familiar with the IMS issue yet . .
when you drive / start listen for rocks rolling around in a coffee can. no real way to check without removing transmission. don't lose a lot of sleep on it though.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #5

also, because it's a tip it will feel a little slow and sluggish in automatic mode. it will start out in 2nd gear most of the time. after it's warmed up slide it over to manual mode, downshift and don't be afraid to touch the redline.

(fyi, i have a tip...)
Old 02-26-2011, 03:24 AM   #6

Another pong island person. Let me know if you need and assistance. I'm in Suffolk.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:34 AM   #7
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage

Dimitris,

Good luck with the Boxster!

How was your experience owning the R129? I've always liked those cars. The prices have come down so much on the R230's I might just have to pick one up some day. It would be a great tourer.

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon
also, because it's a tip it will feel a little slow and sluggish in automatic mode. it will start out in 2nd gear most of the time. after it's warmed up slide it over to manual mode, downshift and don't be afraid to touch the redline.

(fyi, i have a tip...)
Thats a good thing to know (2nd gear start). Im very curious to experience how harsh or smooth it shifts at manual mode. And oh yeah , i will def hit the red . Last time i didnt ,
it cost me $2000 in parts
Old 02-26-2011, 05:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb
Dimitris,

Good luck with the Boxster!

How was your experience owning the R129? I've always liked those cars. The prices have come down so much on the R230's I might just have to pick one up some day. It would be a great tourer.

ddb
Hi ddb , the R129 is a beautiful roadster. I got a '98 which is the most desirable year for horse power and quality. Had the AMG package and the Panoramic hardtop. Got a set of 16's OEM mercedes rims and Bridgestone snow tires for the long north east winter.
The cats went right after i got her, big $$$ ! ! Spent 5K in 2.5 years just in parts to keep her mint.
The R230 is a modern Mercedes. Not for my taste though. .
Prices dropping while gas is going up every other day
Old 05-14-2011, 04:58 AM   #10
suvra.saha79

I have seen all the pictures. These are really awesome!!!! but what I am worried about the performance of the cars now.