Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 03:22 PM   #1

sorry-more ??...advice re. 3 cars

car 1: 1999 boxster,1 owner,all service records,well maintained,21,000miles.seems pretty firm at $15k. ims/rms has not been replaced.

car2: 2003 boxster s,34,000miles, 1 owner,service records show all work done,ims done by dealer in 2007(may)at 22,000miles $22k.

car3. 2001boxster s,23,000miles,no service records,at a subaru dealer on a trade in,supposedly 1 owner, $16K....catch is the airbag light is on-I need my auto dealer pal to buy it but I have no idea of the cost re. airbag light issue.does anyone know about this?

is the '03 worth $6k more than the other 2?(given that ims/rms work for $1500 would be done on the other 2 cars to bring their actual cost up)....

thanks.

kriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:45 PM   #2

Opinion

1. Overpriced for a '99. Don't pay for low mileage in a non-collector car...things go wrong due to age too.
2. Not bad but doubt the IMS bearing itself was replaced. Most often it is the outer seal which really does little for the longevity of the bearing. '03 features are nice though.
3. Airbag lights are often a seat belt contact problem and can be $2-300 at the dealers to fix. Or there is a TSB on the wiring to the security computer under the seat. Do all other locks and such work? Any sign of water under the seats? Price good...almost too good for the mileage. But it is winter and Subaru dealer may just want his $ out of it.

Having said all that...the market is what a buyer will pay.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:12 PM   #3

IMO, 03 definitly. especially if IMS was replaced. i have an 02 and regret not getting the 03. 03 has the glass windshield as opposed to the plastic crap.