986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   New Member Introductions (http://986forum.com/forums/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   ? re. purchase of '99 boxster (http://986forum.com/forums/new-member-introductions/27163-re-purchase-99-boxster.html)

kriss 12-14-2010 11:46 AM

? re. purchase of '99 boxster

I am considering a red,5spd,'99 boxster with 21,000 miles in vgc...the asking price is $19,000+ which the owner concedes is high. any idea what a fair price is..the car doesn't seem to have optional packages other than cruise control,leather seats,power drivers seat.....also, a local porsche mechanic indicated to me that the internal rear bearing is not a lubricated kind and tends to need replacement with the updated lubricated type at around 35k miles-$1500...have you found that to be true? I have owned miatas but this would be a first porsche.thanks.

JFP in PA 12-14-2010 11:58 AM

Get a hold of a copy of "Excellence" magazine, and look at the resale values in the back pages, it will give you a true perspective...........which is more in the realm of $10-12K for one loaded in pristine condition..............

And, yes the IMS is an issue, do a search..............

JTP 12-14-2010 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kriss
internal rear bearing is not a lubricated kind and tends to need replacement with the updated lubricated type at around 35k miles-$1500...

this bearing is the IMS bearing, Intermediate Shaft bearing. Research the IMSR, IMS Retrofit kit made by LN Engineering.

seningen 12-14-2010 08:20 PM

Sounds way too expensive to me.

10-12k tops -- expect to spend another 1500 or so if you want the IMSR done.

m

t2-bxtrs 12-15-2010 05:17 AM

99 Boxster

Kriss,
Do yourself a favor, do more looking around and you will find a much much better one than a 99 with an IMS issue... if you can budget between $15 to $19k, there's plenty of Boxsters and if i were you i would only settle for an "S", no offense to those with a non "S'.. don't get so hunged up on low mileage, it could work against your favor... Research pays off... You're on the right site, just let your finger do the walking, if you know what i mean !
Good Luck on your purchase.....
t2

yelojkt 12-15-2010 08:51 AM

I just looked at a really clean 99 with 30,000 in KS and he was asking $13,500 with no service history. I felt that was a little high due to the unknown history of the car. I have seen S models sale for less than $19,000 if I were you I would keep looking. It would be nice to buy a car with less than 30,000 on it but you need to realise that some of these low mile cars are over 10 years old and age can put wear and tear on parts just the same as mileage, most certainly on the rubber parts. Parts that keep the oil in the motor and grease in the CV joints. Look for a car with a good servive history. And it would be nice to find one that had at least one oil change each year wether it was driven much or not. Do your research on the IMS.

feddexxmann 12-16-2010 04:24 AM

can anyone post some information regarding the sale of boxster above 2000 model. I had been looking for this car so long and please do post whether it is E- tested or not and does it satisfy that condition to get certified?