986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   New Member Introductions (http://986forum.com/forums/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   Avatars - Forum Policy (http://986forum.com/forums/new-member-introductions/2660-avatars-forum-policy.html)

rkwei 05-09-2005 08:23 AM

Some of you have asked why you can't add an avatar. The simple answer is that capability has been turned off (although most current avatars were grandfathered during the ownership change there were others that slipped thru).

So to be fair to other users, Here's the 986forum.com Avatar policy.

"You must have at least 100 posts on 986forum.com before we will consider a request to add an avatar. 986forum.com reserves the right to reject the submitted avatar if it does not meet 986forum.com policies."

Please feel free to PM me (Rkwei) with the avatar if you meet the above criteria.

Bald Eagle 07-15-2014 01:51 PM

So I guess I shouldn't have added the avatar since I have only posted a couple times. Sorry.

How do I take it off? Or is that something that will happen automatically?

Larry (The Bald Eagle)

particlewave 07-21-2014 10:34 PM

This policy is no longer in effect.

Bald Eagle 07-22-2014 07:39 AM

Thank you
Larry (The Bald Eagle)

99 Boxcutter 12-25-2014 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkwei (Post 18389)
You must have at least 100 posts on 986forum

I think 50 would be fair. I've been here since 2011 and only have 86 posts. I like the reward system but setting the bar that high on a forum like this will result in senseless postwhoring and shorter messages as people try to hit the milestones. :dance:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkwei (Post 18389)
Please feel free to PM me (Rkwei) with the avatar if you meet the above criteria.

Actually, you can easily automate that process by going to Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Promotions -> Add New Promotion > and set Posts = minimum number of posts before users can use custom avatars

Hummer-addict 05-27-2015 02:49 PM

Utt off I just joined today and already loaded a avatar :confused:

particlewave 06-18-2015 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hummer-addict (Post 451473)
Utt off I just joined today and already loaded a avatar :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 410955)
This policy is no longer in effect.

silver-S 05-21-2016 09:21 PM

Something screwy is going on. I tried to change my avatar and I find that my user profile seems to have been hijacked by (a) somebody from Arkansas who speaks Arabic or (b) a badly designed hashing function that has turned my ID ("silver-S") into the same user number as "silver986s". When I click on my name up in the welcome panel, it takes me to the silver986s profile. Likewise, when I click on UserCP in the menu strip at the top of each page. I can't find my own profile, even though I can log in and out successfully.

Do I understand that the board doesn't have an admin anymore? Who looks into these site function issues? Anyone have any suggestions about how to get my name back?

Update: I clicked UserCP, which took me to silver986s' page. I then typed in my user name in the proper place in the browser's address bar, which should have taken me to my own profile. Nope. It changed back to silver986s. It's almost like my top profile page has a redirect to the usurper's page.

I'm pretty knowledgeable about web tech, but know nothing about administering vBulletin. Help, anyone?

particlewave 07-19-2016 10:55 PM

I would contact Wayne directly or post in the "Site Assistance and Feedback" section. When I click your profile, I get the same. Weird...

chaiyz 08-11-2016 02:40 PM

I've been here for for several months, Avatar's don't work for me. Apparently I can't save anything and I can't point direct IMG's to my UP either. I'm locked down for no reason that makes sense to me.

particlewave 08-22-2016 02:44 AM

It's not just you. There seems to be a site error preventing new avatars from being uploaded.

ryanjboutin 09-05-2016 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaiyz (Post 506293)
I've been here for for several months, Avatar's don't work for me. Apparently I can't save anything and I can't point direct IMG's to my UP either. I'm locked down for no reason that makes sense to me.

Did you read the first post?

Users have to have 100 posts to have an avatar.

particlewave 09-05-2016 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanjboutin (Post 509001)
Did you read the first post?

Users have to have 100 posts to have an avatar.

Did you read the subsequent posts? That policy hasn't been in effect for years.
I have thousands of posts, have had many different avatars here, yet I still can't upload a new picture.
This is a recent site error (just started a few months ago) that has not been acknowledged or addressed by the moderators.

Your post count has nothing to do with it.

ryanjboutin 09-06-2016 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 509084)
Did you read the subsequent posts? That policy hasn't been in effect for years.
I have thousands of posts, have had many different avatars here, yet I still can't upload a new picture.
This is a recent site error (just started a few months ago) that has not been acknowledged or addressed by the moderators.

Your post count has nothing to do with it.

Are you a forum moderator?

If the first post of an instructional thread is wrong, doesn't it make sense to correct the information?

particlewave 01-08-2017 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfumeria (Post 521924)
Hi guys, why the rule? We need more rules?

Hi. Try reading the posts in this thread. Is reading the equivalent of a few paragraphs really so difficult for people these days? :rolleyes:

Yes. Rules are a good thing.

Boxtaboy 01-09-2017 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 522063)
Hi. Try reading the posts in this thread. Is reading the equivalent of a few paragraphs really so difficult for people these days? :rolleyes:

Yes. Rules are a good thing.

I don't think this user is here to talk Porsches. Take a look at their User Profile. There they give you a link to their online perfume shop. Also, the user's webpage listed in their profile is a phishing site. :mad:

particlewave 01-12-2017 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxtaboy (Post 522099)
I don't think this user is here to talk Porsches. Take a look at their User Profile. There they give you a link to their online perfume shop. Also, the user's webpage listed in their profile is a phishing site. :mad:

Damn! Fooled by a spammer! :D