Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 09:35 AM   #1

Looking for my 986

Hello to the Boxster guys and gals on here. I have just recently started searching for a Boxster. I currently drive a highly moddified new beetle with 198,000 miles on it. I have had alot of fun with this car over the last six years but it is time to start looking for my porsche. I've always said that I would own a porsche by the time I was fifty and at 45 I only have 5 years left. I always thought that I would own a 911 but having a little experience with some 914's I started looking at the 986 a couple years after they came out and they had been growing on me. Then it happened. I was on the highway tool'n along on my bug when this porsche wizzes past me. As I am cathing up to him I notice that this is not you're ordinary boxster; something about it made it look just right. As I pulled beside him I realize that this is most likely the cleanest boxster I have ever seen. It was lowered just a little and had aftermarket wheels that just filled the wheel wells. I was hooked. I started looking online and found this site. So I do not own a 986 yet but soon. I will be around (mostly in the performance talk forums) gathering knowledge and learning the good and bad of the 986.

Attached Images

yelojkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:33 AM   #2

Welcome

Good luck with your research! There is tons of info here, good and bad about the boxster. Use the search button to read about topics you may be interested in. Never had a bettle, but I'm sure the boxster will be a lot more fun. Boxster is arguably one of the funnest cars on the road right now! Good luck!
19" MHT Rims
Evo Intake, De-Snorkeled
CVstarBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:35 PM   #3

The 986 will not replace my beetle it will sit beside my wifes car in the garage. Yelojkt will still be my daily. I think this is going to require quite a bit of self control.
Caractere kit seam sealed, Caractere rear wing, 1 3/4" drop on coilovers, 235/40/18 Kuhmo XS on 18x8 Millie Miglia Spider II's, H2sport spindles, H&R front Sway bar, O-bar rear torsion, VF Eng. motor mounts, G60 12# flywheel, Nuespeed P-flow intake, Forge DV, Samco IP, Custom K04 turbo and Upsolute chip, 4 bar fpr, TT 2 1/2" SS DP, 2 1/2" custom stainless exhaust no muffler, Peleguin LSD, B&M SS, Momo 14" wheel, R32 steering rack.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:44 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelojkt
The 986 will not replace my beetle it will sit beside my wifes car in the garage. Yelojkt will still be my daily. I think this is going to require quite a bit of self control.

Once you go yellow you can never go back !
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2010, 05:53 PM   #5

I have thought about yellow but I think for the 986 it will be black on black with Tech-art black wheels. I will most likely own the wheels before I have the car. I found a screaming good deal on some wheels on tire rack that were made for the boxster (I think they were Rays forged three piece) but they only had one front and two rear and I could not find another front anywhere.
Caractere kit seam sealed, Caractere rear wing, 1 3/4" drop on coilovers, 235/40/18 Kuhmo XS on 18x8 Millie Miglia Spider II's, H2sport spindles, H&R front Sway bar, O-bar rear torsion, VF Eng. motor mounts, G60 12# flywheel, Nuespeed P-flow intake, Forge DV, Samco IP, Custom K04 turbo and Upsolute chip, 4 bar fpr, TT 2 1/2" SS DP, 2 1/2" custom stainless exhaust no muffler, Peleguin LSD, B&M SS, Momo 14" wheel, R32 steering rack.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:43 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelojkt
I have thought about yellow but I think for the 986 it will be black on black with Tech-art black wheels. I will most likely own the wheels before I have the car. I found a screaming good deal on some wheels on tire rack that were made for the boxster (I think they were Rays forged three piece) but they only had one front and two rear and I could not find another front anywhere.
I was just being candid with the yellow. In any case, best of luck with your boxster purchase - which ever color it may be.

JD
p.s. By the look of things, it appears as though you are someone who likes to "mod" their vehicle. If that is the case, I would hold off on making any wheel purchases until such time as you know exactly what your final suspension set-up is going to be. Boxsters can be persnickety when it comes to proper wheel fitment ( i.e. size and offset ect..) .
Old 10-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
I was just being candid with the yellow. In any case, best of luck with your boxster purchase - which ever color it may be.

JD
p.s. By the look of things, it appears as though you are someone who likes to "mod" their vehicle. If that is the case, I would hold off on making any wheel purchases until such time as you know exactly what your final suspension set-up is going to be. Boxsters can be persnickety when it comes to proper wheel fitment ( i.e. size and offset ect..) .
I like form follows function. So that is the way I have modded my beetle. I have always run wider tires than stock with very little issue (occasional rubbing of the fender liner during full lock) until a few months ago. I was going to be doing some touring with friends in AR and MO and I needed new tires I knew i wanted the new XS's and was planning on getting them in a 225/40/18 because I had read that they ran a bit wide. When I called to order them everyone was out of them and I needed new tires so instaed of switching to a different tire I just ordered the 235/40/18, the same size of tire I have ran in three different brands on my car. Well lets just say that with the amount of drop I have on my car that was just to much tire. I have two fixes. I can raise the car up alittle (tried that and my coilovers would not budge) or buy a couple 225/40/18s and run those on the front and save the 235s for the back. Or just buy four new 225s and save the 235s for the front of the 986. Anyways the 986 is for performance driving first and foremost so no mods will be done to it that take to much away from that experience. And I have learned with this last tire experience on the beetle that rubbing (hard tire to fender contact at speed) is no fun. Thanks for the tip. I will most likely go-pro my fender gap at stock height at Hallett to see how much clearence I am left with under race conditions.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #8

I agree with you.

I agree with you.

pcalert is offline   Reply With Quote