Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2009, 03:54 PM   #1

So many questions..

Hello all. I joined the site a little while ago, and have definitely enjoyed learning about Porsche, and checking out your rides.

I'm looking to buy a new sports car very soon. I've had a variety of them in the past including RX7s, Miatas, S2000s, and the sort. I buy cars like these to enjoy them. My commute is very short, so even though this will be my only car, it will remain fairly low miles. This will be my only car. I'm in the $30-35k range. Would I be better off purchasing a newer Boxster S, or a slightly older 911? What kind of maintenance costs should I be expecting?

Thanks in advance,
Carlos

carlosgagliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:07 PM   #2

Drive both...let your gut tell you what is right.

The maintenance costs will be about the same, higher than you are used to with your Miata/Honda experience. Parts are just more expensive.

Driven probably 20 sports cars in the past 3 years. Tried everything while I was buying my first Boxster. I've had 5 roadsters, 3 Porsches, 3 mid-engine cars, 2 Boxsters.

You don't have to pay $30-35k to buy a good Boxster. And if you maintain it well and drive it low miles, there is no reason to fear higher mileage.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:38 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I've been shopping quite a bit, and it seems like the Porsche (either the Boxster or the 911) is going to be the right choice for me. I also happened to run across this top . I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with these. In addition, what options should I look for? Any recommendations?
Thanks again.
carlosgagliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:43 PM   #4

Boxter a good choice

I agree with Mikefocke who says you don't have to pay that much for a Boxer. Admittedly, mine is old (98) but I didn't pay $30-35 for it.

However, repairs are expensive. I've used both independent European car repair shops and the dealer. The dealer gave me a 2 year warranty on the work they just recently performed (some things just went out - hey, it's an old car.)

I have the nice classic color scheme - silver body and the Boxter red interior.

I've had a lot of cars - Mercedes, Saab, Corvette, BMW 318 (or whatever the 4-wheel drive was called back then). Of all the others, I liked the BMW best all-around of those cars, but nothing has compared to the 911 and Boxter I have driven.

Go for it.
blondegenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosgagliano
Hello all. I joined the site a little while ago, and have definitely enjoyed learning about Porsche, and checking out your rides.

I'm looking to buy a new sports car very soon. I've had a variety of them in the past including RX7s, Miatas, S2000s, and the sort. I buy cars like these to enjoy them. My commute is very short, so even though this will be my only car, it will remain fairly low miles. This will be my only car. I'm in the $30-35k range. Would I be better off purchasing a newer Boxster S, or a slightly older 911? What kind of maintenance costs should I be expecting?

Thanks in advance,
Carlos
You can get yourself an 05 S with CPO at the lower end of your range, and with very low miles near the higher end. An 06 S non-CPO with reasonable miles should also fit in near the higher end; so that range buys you a very nice 987, potentially.

John Y is offline   Reply With Quote