Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #1

Angry Front trunk is jammed shut

Front trunk is jammed shut and I am fresh out of ideas. The interior latches for both the front and the rear do not work inside. The fuse C-3 appears to be fine. The red tab which is barely visable under the trunk lid, the OM says to move it to the right and that it, it will open, no dice. There is suppose to be an emergency cable to pull on the left front passenger well, if you remove the tire and the wheel well lining. Problem is that the Boxster has a "security" lug on it. Where is the tool to remove the security lug? In the front trunk in the tool bag (if it exists, I have only owned this car a couple of weeks, for all I know Jimmy Hoffa and 20 kilos of coke in the front trunk).
The only thing I have managed to do is put a couple of scratches on the hood trying to get the red tab to move to get the damn thing open.
Oh, and someone suggested getting an alternate 12 V power source (I used my motorcycle) and some speaker wire and try to trip C-3 to force it to open (this proceed to be used when the situation would be a dead battery).....
Fresh out of ideas.
Any suggestions?

Recondoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:08 AM   #2

pull the emergency cable that is under the passanger wheel well. it is a manual release cable
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:22 AM   #3

When you open the front trunk, the lid pops up an inch or so allowing you to slide your hand under and push the release latch (which keeps the lid from flying up in case the trunk is accidentally opened while going down the highway) to fully open the lid.

So my question is at what point is the lid stuck? Can you slide your hand under and feel the latch but not move it to finish opening or does the first stage not even open the lid an inch?

If the lid is slightly open I would try closing it completely so that it's closed again and then pop the release in the passenger compartment near the drivers side door. From there see if you can open it by pushing the visible red lever to the right (towards the drivers side) and lifting up on the lid.

If you have locking wheel nuts, you will need the lug key to get them off, which as you said is probably in the toolkit in the front trunk.

Finally, you might check to see if the previous owner relocated the emergency release cable to behind the tow hook. There's a little round cover on the front bumper just under and to the right of the passenger headlight. Pry it off carefully with a flathead screwdriver and see if there's a thin cable back there - that's the release cable.

Some people have mentioned being able to get to it from under the car without removing the wheel, but I don't see how.

If all else fails, take it to a dealer or independent Porsche shop and get their help.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:04 AM   #4

Bring it to Boxstoberfest....

We'll get it opened for you Lots of folks there who have pulled off bumper covers for radiator maint and relocating the emergency pull cable to the tow hook port on the front bumper.

www.boxstoberfest.com

mshassere is offline   Reply With Quote