Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 11:20 AM   #1

Buying a 2k1

or thinking about this one anyway.....

I have my eye on a 2k1 boxster with about 55k on it and tiptronic transmission.

I have read a ton of scary stories about catastrophic engine failure etc etc, but I cant really get it pinned down as to models affected etc.

Can anyone give me a list of things I need to ask/look for/get in my PPI/things to watch out for in general?

altarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #2

I thought that this was a decent checklist. I used it when buying my 2001 986 w/ tip

buyer's checklist

While your car is getting the PPI, try to chat with the service manager. While the mechanic was working with my car, he spent a good hour+ with me giving me a Boxster 101, tips/traps/techniques/etc.
lizBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:53 PM   #3

I have my eye on a 2k1 boxster with about 55k on it and tiptronic transmission.The price all depends on the market. The market depends on your area.A quick look on autotrader leads me to believe that 2k1 isn't excessive as long as it is in good condition.It is a good deal if its in good shape and has some options.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:53 AM   #4

I have a 2k1 as a daily driver. It just hit 93k miles on the way home last night. Still runs superbly (knock on wood).

As long as you do your research and get a PPI you should be just fine.

Best of Luck -
9eighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #5

01 + Tip here. Coming up on 80k and it's not necessarily a DD, but it's creeping up there, especially since spring/summer is here (finally!). any road trip i take is usually in the box ( 2x2700 round-trip + 1x1k mi round-trip, and a few 300 miles here and there... )

cv boots replaced
engine mount replaced
oil changes
spark plugs
serpentine belt
Old 05-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #6

2k1 S TIP here, 56k miles

More reliable than my Honda or Mazda or Acura on a $ per year basis (if I exclude the extra costs because the Boxster gets better tires, better battery, etc. I could make them cost the same but I don't).

Now that doesn't mean any of them couldn't fail tomorrow and change that relationship.

Never left me by the side of the road, never in the shop for more than 3 hours. 5+ years, third owner.

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote