Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 02:20 AM   #1

AM radio - CDR 210

I have the factory CDR-210 radio. when I play the AM side, it sounds horrible, no radio station sounds good, can't understand the announcer for any football / basketball / baseball game.

Anyone else had this problem? And any fix, other than yanking it and going to XM?

Old 01-04-2010, 12:56 PM   #2

Cdr 210

The CDR 210 in my '98 Box is a piece of crap. The only thing it's good for is the six disc CD player. Otherwise, I stick to the flat-six symphony.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #3

I had the same problem with my CDR-220. There is an antenna amplifier in the passenger B pillar. It seems that the electrical connectors are tempermental. I cleaned the connectors and put dielectric grease on them. My AM radio has worked perfectly ever since.

It's a rather easy repair... good luck!

K80Kid
K80Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:44 PM   #4

What's this AM you speaketh of...

Actually, your issue is likely the antenna ground in your passenger side A-pillar. If you remove the trim (remove the visor and pry the trim away - making sure you release the hiddne clip at the bottom w/ a long screw-driver) you'll see a black plastic triangular tube ~ 3" long. Remove the screw connecting the wire from it to the A-pillar. Use some sandpaper and sand off the paint and primer until you have just metal. Then you can put a little dielectric grease on the spot or just refasten the screw/wire. I'd test the radio before you reinstall the trim to make sure you sanded enough off. CAUTION: when reinstalling the trim and visor, DO NOT over-tighten the the two outboard Torx (T-30 ? IIRC) screws . Just barely hand tight is fine. Don't ask how I know... though I wrote up a solution for that, it's best if you do not need it

There are probably directions w/ pictures in here somewhere if you search on AM or radio reception...
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vath2001
I have the factory CDR-210 radio. when I play the AM side, it sounds horrible, no radio station sounds good, can't understand the announcer for any football / basketball / baseball game.

Anyone else had this problem? And any fix, other than yanking it and going to XM?
I was thought that Your player was being in scrap mode. So you have checked it that You have played the CD player as well. If You will still persist that issue then replace it and get it new inplace of it.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:40 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellman View Post
The CDR 210 in my '98 Box is a piece of crap. The only thing it's good for is the six disc CD player. Otherwise, I stick to the flat-six symphony.
That's mainly why I bought mine

'56 356A
Tailwind is offline   Reply With Quote