Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2008, 07:43 AM   #1

Looking to buy a Boxster

After lots of searching I have decided that I want to by a Boxster. I am looking at 2001 "S" models. First question is I would prefer a manual transmission but I know the wife might want to drive it and teaching her to drive manual could be a task to say the least. My question is do the tiptronic cars seem to be less prone to problems than the manuals or vice versa? Also what are must have options on a 2001 "S"? I know I want the Litronics and 18" turbo wheels but what else should I look for in options?

Newtfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 07:52 AM   #2

The tip's are less prone to rms leaks. 18's and litronics are the two best options imo. Some people like having the safety net PSM provides. The stock radio blows, so you might want to look for the hi fi radio option. The bose option wasn't available in 01.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:11 AM   #3

I am looking at one that they say does not have litronics but it does have the Xenon projector like headlight bulbs like my Volvo and Saab does with Xenons. I just wondered if you can tell by looking at the front headlights.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtfox
I am looking at one that they say does not have litronics but it does have the Xenon projector like headlight bulbs like my Volvo and Saab does with Xenons. I just wondered if you can tell by looking at the front headlights.
Porsche calls their HID xenon system litronic. If it has the projector lenses then they should be litronic. If they don't have the large projector lens, then it's just a stock halogen with cheap xenon gas filled bulbs.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:32 AM   #5

There is a really nice 2001 Silver "S" model on Ebay right now by Ecarlink.com. It has the hi fi but no heated seats or litronics. See below. I just don't know about buying a car off of Ebay.

2001 Boxster S
Old 02-03-2008, 10:08 AM   #6

Only buy a car off eBay if you can get a PPI before you bid to win it.

There are mobile PPI guys out there in most big cities who will go do it on site for you for a couple hundred bucks.

In addition, I'd find a forum member who lives nearby to check it out for you... but this isn't the same as a proper PPI.

Of course, if you are buying a Boxster with factory warranty on it, that take a lot of the tension out of buying off eBay, but there could still be non-warranty item types of surprises like worn brake discs, hidden damage from a wreck, etc.

I bought mine off ebay without a PPI and wish like crazy I had waited and bought one I could drive and see and get a PPI on before I purchased it. Live and learn from my mistake!

I do like the one you linked to though. Looks very clean. Contact the seller and see if they can arrange a PPI for you. I'd also ask, although you probably won't get it, for something in writing saying that if there's more than $500 in repairs required after purchase, they will pay it or buy the car back from you.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 02-03-2008 at 10:13 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:14 AM   #7

I don't think I will buy one off of Ebay. I am to particular on the condition of my cars and pictures most of time make a car look better than it actually is. I have looked at a few online that looked great in photos then when you go look at the car in person and I notice flaws that I couldn't live with.

Last edited by Newtfox; 02-03-2008 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:07 AM   #8

If you anticipate top down driving in cool or cold weather, heated seats would be nice too.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:29 AM   #9

Ok here is my options list of must haves for a 2001 S.

1) 18" Turbo wheels
2) Litronics
3) HI Fi Sound System
4) Heated Seats (Because it is cold in Ohio)
5) Prefer manual but can live with a Tiptronic
Old 02-05-2008, 02:55 AM   #10

If I do go with a manual transmission does there seem to be an average life span on the clutch? I was looking at a 01 S that had the clutch replaced at 48K and I thought that seemed a bit early.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:47 AM   #11

brake pads, brake discs and clutches are all items that are replaced as they wear out, and they wear long or short depending on the driver.

Mine was replaced at 89k, not because it was completely worn out, but because my transmission needed replacement and putting in new parts instead of the old was the way to go.

There's a nice hot debate here on how long Boxster clutches last... if used properly and not left engaged while sitting at a light or in traffic, they can last a long time like any other car.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote