Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2007, 01:17 PM   #21

I agree wholeheartedly with what everyone is saying. Partly why i'm somewhat intersted is because I have alot I can use as bartering chips against the dealer (for the lower price) because of the said ugly mods and etc. But all of that is assuming that its mechanically sound of course. It seems like in my market, its harder to find a black boxster than any other color. Especially one of the lower mileage ones, this is one of the lower that ive found as of yet. Im just as against the spoiler and exhaust as the next guy, but i'm thinking if I can get a good price and warranty, I can ignore it for the mean while as I write a check for a nice low price.

Speaking of other options, I just ran across a '99 black boxster locally. I'm calling them to see the mileage and if they can get me some good photos.

Denied™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:26 PM   #22

Bartering chips? yes. But then again, if the dealer has held onto it since July, he may still be willing to hold onto it. Perhaps he only paid a $9K trade value for it and is willing to find the "sucker" who will pay $13,5-14 for it.

Also, I doubt he would let you take a car to another shop for a PPI. Too risky for him. At 78K miles, you might be looking for a new clutch. Also, suspension bushings, shocks, springs may be close to needing replacement. How are the brake rotors and pads? Coolant tank replaced? Updated cap at least? Any paperwork on the motor?

Don't be fooled by the low entry price. If under 21, how would the insurance be? Are you paying cash or financing? ( I bet loan rates on a 10 year old car aren't cheap) Do you have another $2k sitting around to pay for the "minor" things that will go wrong?

High risk for medium to low reward. there are lots of boxsters out there. Be patient. Find a "good one". Good luck!
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:33 PM   #23
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The insurance an under 21 isn't bad, about the same as a Toyota on my 1999 2.5L. But USAA, always has good rates.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:40 PM   #24

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Im sure the rate would vary from a Toyota from a Porsche Boxster

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:14 PM   #25

Garage
Oh No No No No, what the....Did the PO try and paint out the amber in the front and rear lights?

This is not a 986 I would consider, sorry, PPI or not you are probably looking at several thousands from the get-go. If they'll let it go for 10K (max), with a 30-day W/T warranty, you may have a chance as long as the mechanics are good. Follow the advice offered in this thread, you'll be glad you did.

'06 Cayman 'S' - Sold (Sport Chrono, PASM, TPMS, 19' CAS Wheels, NAV)
'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold

Last edited by tboyer; 12-07-2007 at 03:14 PM.
tboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:55 AM   #26
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Im sure the rate would vary from a Toyota from a Porsche Boxster
It is actually within a few dollars of my friends '06 Camry. I think it is probably because they are both safe, but the difference in HP vs. the year is what makes it about the same.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:55 PM   #27

In Dec of 06 I purchsed my 98 w/tip for $18,000--including all taxes. It hd 35K when I got it and now has 49K. It has had no major problems with the exception of a MAF sensor which the dealer replaced. Just an idea what the prices are around here. ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 03:31 PM   #28

Can't say I'd accept *any* car with mods like that. If you go that far out of your way to put cheap, uneducated owner type mods on a Porsche you can bet your bottom dollar the car hasn't been treated well by someone that truly cared about anything other than 'look at me' in a fast and the furious kind of way.
prOk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:55 PM   #29

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
OMG, that wing thing on the back makes me want to cry! Otherwise, it's an attractive car. Amazing that a car that is almost 10 years old can be so beautiful. That's what I love about Porsches. They look great forever if you take care of them.

I can't give you much advice as far as purchasing because I don't own a Boxster and am here for info myself. I did see you mentioned though that the car has 79K miles on it? Did I read that right? I'd be careful someone hasn't tampered with the odometer. At least that's my first instinct.

And am I the only one that likes the steering wheel in that car better than in the new Boxsters?

LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote